Help!

Hello all, I have a daughter who I think has Autism and/or ADHD. We've got through some very tough situations with self harm starting six years ago. The whole experience was an utter nightmare but although things are much better than they were we're kind of stuck now. I'd truly appreciate some help/feedback/ideas from someone who's experienced and has solved this problem. Can someone help me?

Parents
  • I am not at all qualified to answer this except that I am autistic and also self harm. My question to you is, is she self harminging to injure herself. In which case connection to like minded humans and mental health professional may help. Or, is she self harming to regulate overwhelm. For a lot of years I hurt myself without being able to explain why. I now know what my sensory triggers are and can manage them better. I also use a shakti mat to regulate my nerviouse system. Even as a reset before bed something like this may help her break the habit to injure herself. 

• I am not at all qualified to answer this except that I am autistic and also self harm. My question to you is, is she self harminging to injure herself. In which case connection to like minded humans and mental health professional may help. Or, is she self harming to regulate overwhelm. For a lot of years I hurt myself without being able to explain why. I now know what my sensory triggers are and can manage them better. I also use a shakti mat to regulate my nerviouse system. Even as a reset before bed something like this may help her break the habit to injure herself. 

Children
  • A point about professionals in this field, it seems to me all the incentive structures are wrong, there's an incentive to keep having therapy sessions, not to get closure.

• She does it because she's overwhelmed, she describes it as just some kind of relief. She ended up in hospital twice, once because she drank hand sanitizer because it said alcohol on the bottle, that was in the middle of covid, it was a horror show. She's 18 now and has not self harmed for some time and I've got to say I'm less than impressed with the so-called professionals in this field. Anyway, I understand her but only after endless research and talking with others. My other daughter (17) and my girlfriend don't really understand it and they inevitably don't get the attention they deserve because my needy daughter clearly needs my attention far more than a normal child (I know she's 18 but it's harder than having a small child). I'm English, my daughter has a UK passport but we live in Eastern Europe, I shudder to think what it would be like dealing with this in the UK.

Anyway this whole thing is super demoralizing on all fronts, I have little motivation to set long term goals until I can resolve this somehow. I have money I don't have solutions, she wants to solve it too, I refuse to accept there is no solution. Thoughts?

Thanks for replying :)