Up to 10 characteristics that define you

Here is a link to 2 earlier threads:

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/28721/does-your-autism-define-you/252201#252201

and

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/29374/what-defines-your-autism/277902#277902

I was thinking about these threads and characteristics defining us.

So, what do you think defines you (or at least you see as very essential characteristics) ...

Me, in no particular order.

1. Compassion

2. Intelligence

3. Open-mindedness

4. A duality

5. Sensitivity

6. Intuition

7. Stillness/calmness

8. Analytical

• Great idea for a thread. I don't think I can make ten but here's some.

1. Creative.
    2. Honest.
    3. Empathic.
    4. Kind.
    5. Intelligent.
    6. Imaginative.
  • In no particular order:

Argumentative

Obstructive

Anxious

Loyal

Helpful

Scared

Polite

Misunderstood

Friendly

Intelligent

1. Creative.
    2. Honest.
    3. Unintelligent.
    4. Childlike.
    5. Sensitive.
    6. Unattractive.
    7. Imaginative.
  • People always seem to have quite a different perception of me than I have of myself. I wonder if that's a common autistic thing

Or whether it's a common thing, whether a person is autistic or not.

The only way to find out is for people to ask others the question ... you and me ie 2 doesn't really make a consensus Blush

• Thank you everyone who took the time out to reply to this thread.

I know it wasn't the easiest one to reply to but I think giving ourselves some thought in this way is a good thing and I think that if we end up concentrating on the positive, that's good too, as us analytical people can have a tendency to self-criticism.

• Great idea!

1. Very literal- to the point I have been told I am very unintentionally funny because of it.
    2. Analytical
    3. Observant - I am very aware of other people’s needs particularly related to autistic experience/neurodivergence/disability.
    4. Intense 
    5. Passionate/feel very intensely happy about anything relating to my dedicated interests- autistic experience!
    6. Intense empathy 
    7. Determined
    8. Kind
    9. Hardworking 
    10. Honest - I am very direct!

Thanks for starting this discussion!

1. Kind
    2. Floaty
    3. Belief in equality
    4. Prone to disaster
    5. Sense of humour, when people get it
    6. Idealistic
    7. Sometimes bleak
    8. ...long hair

Yeah, there aren't 10 things about me. Basic AF

• I'd feel compelled to proffer 5 bad characteristics and five good characteristics for the sake of balance and fairness.

I don't fancy it.

• 1. Compassionate

2. Curious

3. Strong sense of justice

4. Earnest

5. Accepting/open minded

6. Deeply caring

7. Gentle

8. Optimistic

9. Supportive

10. Determined 

I've concentrated on the positives because I'm trying to be kinder to myself!

• 1. I'm smart.

2. I'm creative.

3. I'm an alert driver.

4. I'm Individual.

5. I'm eclectic.

6. I'm quick to respond.

7. I'm mastering my fear.

8. I'm prosperous.

9. I'm the Generation which dared to dream.

10. I'm living, rather than merely existing.

• (edit)

Adding 6. Eccentric!

• Who knows you better than yourself?

The other side of this is to ask someone.

When I did CBT and asked people re my confidence, as I hated my social anxiety and blushing, my closest friends/family saw me as confident.

My therapist had asked me to do this.

There can be an interesting dichotomy between our self perception and how others perceive us.

• Ive no idea and feel like it isn't really for me to say what they are!

• I have been thinking about this the last few days and I still can't come up with 10! 

So these will have to do and I'll edit and add more later if I can.

1. Creative.

2. Honest.

3. Hardworking.

4. Childish - in a good way :) 

5. Loyal.

• 1 Extreme empathy

2 Intense special interests

3 Compassion

4 Individuality of thought

5 Creative

6 Kind

7 Uncoordinated

8 Imaginative

9 Photographic memory for things I'm interested in 

10 Scared of the outside world

• I found the same thing. People always seem to have quite a different perception of me than I have of myself. I wonder if that's a common autistic thing

• Because this sounds "all shades of wrong", could I first ask any marauding sick minds to "move along please" !!

I am happy to play with anyone, of any age, at any time, doing anything.  Playing with animals, playing with kids ..... and on the rare occasion that I can find grown-ups who are as "loose minded" as me, playing with them - it all makes me happy (IF I have the energy for company.)  Having a focus of activity beyond just "being with them" makes my interactions immeasurably easier.

I always feel awkward (but can hide it at exhaustive cost) if I just need to meet people of any age and am supposed to be  "normal" and "sociable" and "normally chatty" and "nice."

I do weird well.  I can play well, as an individual.

• do not get slapstick type jokes or how to play, either as a child or with children as an adult.

The play thing is very true of me too and I think I've read can be/is an autistic trait.

I've never had my own children but love being with the ones in my family.

However, I always feel awkward because of the play issue.

• Rubes, love No 5.  I said to my friend I'm no different still your weird friend and she said I wasn't weird and she still loved me.