stim toy maintenance

I don't know who needs to hear this but if you have a fidget spinner with a bit of a duff spin get some WD-40 on it, the canister with the proboscis looking nozzle gets in under the axel table quite well.

Parents
  • WD40 is a very light oil that will dribble out quite quicky and evapourates over time.

A heaver oild (eg engine oil) is a better solution but takes a bit more effort to get it into the bearings through the same space - but will last a lot longer if you are a heavy user of the spinner.

Both these approaches need a fair bit of cleanup after the application but the heavier oil will be less prone to leaking out.

• WD40 is a very light oil that will dribble out quite quicky and evapourates over time.

A heaver oild (eg engine oil) is a better solution but takes a bit more effort to get it into the bearings through the same space - but will last a lot longer if you are a heavy user of the spinner.

Both these approaches need a fair bit of cleanup after the application but the heavier oil will be less prone to leaking out.

Children
  • That's good to know about the engine oil, if I ever need something more heavy duty as they get on in age I'll have to get a pipette and try it with some Motul.
    Tbh tho I really don't mind the bit of clean up afterwards or having to re-apply it personally, I don't have a single fave spinner, I have a fave type, (the rubber ones with the poppers so the only metal bit I have to worry about is the inner mechanism) so individually they would take a while to wear out.
    I mentioned the nozzle of the WD-40 actually because one wouldn't come apart to apply the sewing machine oil, and it would be a shame to accidentally break it by forcing it open if it doesn't want to pop out since the main axel and "table" of these ones are plastic, just getting anything in there to improve the spin became it's own job (sometimes I buy another spare and the spin is just a bit bleh even off the production line apparently).