Tips on staying connected?

Hey folks. My name is Kali I'm a late diagnosed autistic female. I am travelling in the UK from NZ. 

I'm struggling a lot right now. I have just left a relationship and a job which is bound to make me sad but everything is beginning to feel, well hopeless. I have spent a lifetime failing to fit in in the neurotypical world and while I'm kinda OK with that, it feels a lot like there isn't a person or a job or a place for me in the world at all.

I'm not trying to be alarmist. I was hoping some of you other late diagnosed humans might have some tips for me on how to stay connected with people and networks. How to maintain relationships, jobs, or get support and find a place for yourself in the world. I'm less expecting full on answers (I know it's a lot) and more little tips that might bring a little ray of hope to my current perspective.

Thanks Kali. 

Parents
  • Hello Kali, sorry you are feeling a bit lost in life.

Now you have your diagnosis then you have the information to understand a great deal about yourself, how you differ from neurotypicals and can use this to set boundaries and let others know that your behaviours may be a bit different and not to take offence if you don't behave in the way they expect.

This can build tremendous self awareness and confidence with application.

As for tips on maintaining connections - it is largely down to making a schedule to keep contact going, keep notes of what each person is up to so you can make them feel you care (you probably do) and take the time to speak to them at the times you set aside.

I always find this hard work to get going, but it pays off with persistance. You will probably feel better after having done it each time too.

Don't forget to set some of this time aside to make new contacts too - local groups of autistic adults can be a great place but I tend to find groups who share your interests are the best.

Good luck with getting it going.

• Hello Kali, sorry you are feeling a bit lost in life.

Now you have your diagnosis then you have the information to understand a great deal about yourself, how you differ from neurotypicals and can use this to set boundaries and let others know that your behaviours may be a bit different and not to take offence if you don't behave in the way they expect.

This can build tremendous self awareness and confidence with application.

As for tips on maintaining connections - it is largely down to making a schedule to keep contact going, keep notes of what each person is up to so you can make them feel you care (you probably do) and take the time to speak to them at the times you set aside.

I always find this hard work to get going, but it pays off with persistance. You will probably feel better after having done it each time too.

Don't forget to set some of this time aside to make new contacts too - local groups of autistic adults can be a great place but I tend to find groups who share your interests are the best.

Good luck with getting it going.

Children