First steps to diagnosis

So yesterday I went to my GP to discuss a referral for Autism. He was lovely.  My last  attempt at this many years ago was met with a Dr taking one look at me and saying 'you're not autistic' so away I went.

We discussed my life, family, work and my first experience of feeling 'different'.

He looked at my scores, I had done the online questions, and said they are high and indicate that I am autistic.

He has referred me for a formal assessment, but the waiting in my region is up to 3 years. 

Hey ho, I may decide to go down the private route, but not just yet, financially it's a big ask.

Just wanted to share.

I'm 57 now. 

• The wait is awful  but I'm glad you landed on a better informed, more sympathetic MP this time around.

• Welcome, Sarah!

I'm new too (last few weeks) and have a GP appointment in June. You can ask to be referred to a different NHS funded service through right to choose which could have shorter waiting times. Psychiatry uk is one of the eligible services. It's worth researching. I'm looking into it now but am very early in my research. 

• Thank you everyone. I've found the forum a great help. So much positivity and support. 

• Hiband welcome.  It is quite a journey. It was quite different for me from being 'fairly sure' to being certain.  Being certain sent me down a rabbit hole of repricessing my entire life of social difficulties ... not as much fun as it sounds.  But definitely good to be on a positive path, which is what i hope you also feel.

• I was diagnosed at the age of 57 last year, after waiting almost 4 years due to covid restrictions. Reading comments on here helped me a lot both before and after my diagnosis, as I now realise there are a lot of people with similar everyday challenges to me, and also  many people who are diagnosed later in life.

• Hi Sarah, welcome to the community. I’m 55 and on the waiting list. If you don’t want to wait ask your GP for ‘Right to Choose,’  you can choose a private assessment provider and the NHS fund it, the idea is it shortens the waiting list.

• Congrats you've started upon an exciting journey and I wish you the best for it and that it brings you the answers and feelings you're hoping for ^^ 

The wait is a long time for most but this community is here and we'll support you as you wait.