Different Types of High-Functioning Autism

Hello,

About two years ago, I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder/Condition (this came as no surprise to me). After receiving the diagnosis and exploring the various social groups and resources provided by the various communities, trusts and institutions in my area, I was very surprised to learn just how unhelpful they all were (I don't mean to discredit the hard work of any individuals by this statement).

After having attended various autistic social groups, I noticed that I seem to be quite different from the other people in these groups. After having spoken to a professional mentor at my university, she informed me that individuals with the autism traits that I have are very under represented in these groups. Most people in these groups seem: to be very artistically oriented; not to like right/wrong or clearly defined concepts (artistic, gender fluid, etc); to be very emotionally driven and easily offended; not to like order, planning or scheduling (very chaotic). However, I seem to be the extreme opposite of these people, in that I: am very technically minded; am a very logical and critical thinker; like clear-cut and well defined concepts; am very sensation seeking (adrenaline junky, physical banter, etc); am very punctual; struggle not working to a schedule; am very rationally driven; lack some emotional intuition; and am not at all easy to offend.

My mentor has noted that she has worked with other autistic individuals that seem to possess many/most of the particular traits that I have. Unfortunately, most of these high-functioning social/meet-up groups seem to be dominated with autistic people the complete opposite of me.

This has made me wonder: Is there a formal categorisation of the particular type of high-functioning autism that I have? If so, where can I find resources to help me overcome the specific difficulties that I face? Thank you.

Kind Regards

Daniel

Parents Reply
  • Most people in these groups seem: to be very artistically oriented; not to like right/wrong or clearly defined concepts (artistic, gender fluid, etc); to be very emotionally driven and easily offended; not to like order, planning or scheduling (very chaotic).

I found the 'very chaotic' side of this surprising but then perhaps some of the people you have been in groups with may have ADD or ADHD alongside autism?

Children
No Data