Bring Back Aspie

So I really feel that the term Asperger's, although dropped for valid reasons, served a very real function within the community.

I of course understand why the grouping exists. But from a social stigma pov, I find it limiting to consider myself, who is fortunate to be a very adept and able high-functioning person, in the same category of autism as those who sadly are much less well functioning.

I'm sure it won't be popular to say it, but I feel I would certainly benefit from being considered an Aspie instead.

I'm interested to here why other people think about this?

Parents
  • Aside from the name, I think the problem with classifying or dividing into aspergers/high functioning/low support is it suggests a linear spectrum. I prefer the thing with circles and different segments.

I agree with what Roy said too that support needs can change daily/monthly/yearly.  This time last year I was signed off with stress and the main goal the doctor gave me was to try and leave the house every day. I was surviving not high functioning which I guess is where that classification would put me.

• For me this is an important point well made.

The reason I posed the question is because I've noticed that within myself, I feel a sense of fear in other people's reaction when I say I'm autistic that doesn't seem to come if I say I am Asperger's

Not sure why there is a difference but I think ignorance plays a very large part. I'm just not willing to be treated differently even though I am to many, I'm also not that different to all of you, so why should I have to deal with this weirdness!?

• Why, for example, can I not be weird with people who are NT because they are different to me?

To me, I'm entirely typical!

Reply Children
  • I feel a sense of fear in other people's reaction when I say I'm autistic that doesn't seem to come if I say I am Asperger's

Unfortunately I think this is a form of abelism where they assume based on old stereotypes when we were split into different categories and the media portrayed us badly often potentially violent that this is what we are like if we are autistic. In short I don't think they really know what autism is.

Why, for example, can I not be weird with people who are NT because they are different to me?

To me, I'm entirely typical!

TBH I have started to stop masking when I don't absolutely have to and using what AFTI calls the Foreigner Strategy ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6dCZS1dpaE ) I think personally by embracing the umbrella of autism and just living our very different lives under it we will gradually change people's perceptions about what autists are like, that we aren't all like Christopher from The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time or Rain Man. That's my goal anyway to acheice acceptance through sheer existence as an autist. I love "to me I'm entirely typical" because that's how I feel too, "what do you mean I'm different? I've always been me." :D