Bring Back Aspie

So I really feel that the term Asperger's, although dropped for valid reasons, served a very real function within the community.

I of course understand why the grouping exists. But from a social stigma pov, I find it limiting to consider myself, who is fortunate to be a very adept and able high-functioning person, in the same category of autism as those who sadly are much less well functioning.

I'm sure it won't be popular to say it, but I feel I would certainly benefit from being considered an Aspie instead.

I'm interested to here why other people think about this?

Parents
  • I used to feel like this until I really thought about it and tbh I don't think I need to be put into a "higher" category, as functionaing is situational, and the term "HFA/Aspergers" was really only used traditionally to differenticate those of us on the spectrum who did or didn't have an intellectual disability/low IQ.
    But I don't need it to be differentiated I just say I am autistic, without the need to say I am autistic and have an intellectual/learning disability.  If people assume I have a low IQ because I'm autistic then that is them being silly not me, and they'd soon find out to their own shame because I find most NTs to be intellectually vapid. But I don't think  higher IQ makes me any less Autistic to require it's own label, because Autism is Autism as a spectrum not versions of it as "their own thing" based on what else you have going on with you as well.
    Also I think it is better for all of us if we disrupt people's misconceptions about what autism is and what it "looks like" by using it as an umbrella term.

• I find the functioning label vs support needs issue is more easily solved by saying something like:
    "Hi I'm Bees, and I'm Autistic with high sensory sensitivity, and if you're new to me I may not be able to look you in the eye just yet."
    Then I just bring up other stuff literally as and when it come up as needing to be addressed. If this was some kind of health assessment form I'd be listing examples of literally everything I struggle with anyway, but that's not something a random person I'm meeting for the first time needs to know so like a full list the "short hand" for an assumed full list is not required either.

Reply Children
No Data