Bring Back Aspie

So I really feel that the term Asperger's, although dropped for valid reasons, served a very real function within the community.

I of course understand why the grouping exists. But from a social stigma pov, I find it limiting to consider myself, who is fortunate to be a very adept and able high-functioning person, in the same category of autism as those who sadly are much less well functioning.

I'm sure it won't be popular to say it, but I feel I would certainly benefit from being considered an Aspie instead.

I'm interested to here why other people think about this?

Parents
  • I used to feel like this until I really thought about it and tbh I don't think I need to be put into a "higher" category, as functionaing is situational, and the term "HFA/Aspergers" was really only used traditionally to differenticate those of us on the spectrum who did or didn't have an intellectual disability/low IQ.
    But I don't need it to be differentiated I just say I am autistic, without the need to say I am autistic and have an intellectual/learning disability.  If people assume I have a low IQ because I'm autistic then that is them being silly not me, and they'd soon find out to their own shame because I find most NTs to be intellectually vapid. But I don't think  higher IQ makes me any less Autistic to require it's own label, because Autism is Autism as a spectrum not versions of it as "their own thing" based on what else you have going on with you as well.
    Also I think it is better for all of us if we disrupt people's misconceptions about what autism is and what it "looks like" by using it as an umbrella term.

• I used to feel like this until I really thought about it and tbh I don't think I need to be put into a "higher" category, as functionaing is situational, and the term "HFA/Aspergers" was really only used traditionally to differenticate those of us on the spectrum who did or didn't have an intellectual disability/low IQ.
    But I don't need it to be differentiated I just say I am autistic, without the need to say I am autistic and have an intellectual/learning disability.  If people assume I have a low IQ because I'm autistic then that is them being silly not me, and they'd soon find out to their own shame because I find most NTs to be intellectually vapid. But I don't think  higher IQ makes me any less Autistic to require it's own label, because Autism is Autism as a spectrum not versions of it as "their own thing" based on what else you have going on with you as well.
    Also I think it is better for all of us if we disrupt people's misconceptions about what autism is and what it "looks like" by using it as an umbrella term.

Children