Experiment in phoneless GP communication

A few days ago, though my GP surgery officially only has the '8 o'clock phone lottery' method of getting an appointment, I sent an email to my GP surgery describing my worsening bowel problems (in great detail). Yesterday, the surgery phoned me offering an appointment next week. I strikes me that, once you have informed a surgery of a medical condition, that they have to respond. Because otherwise, if a patient developed a serious, or life-threatening, illness, they would be open to NHS disciplinary procedures, or to being sued for negligence. It may be worth others trying a similar approach; if it is generally applicable, it will make access to medical care much easier for autistics.

Parents
  • It will depend on the GP, unfortunately.

For starters, my former GP doesn't have a contact email address.

Secondly I wrote to them about 6 weeks ago asking for an operation because my symptoms have become much worse.

This is an op that's previously been discussed at my local hospital.

After a month I visited the surgery to ask what was being done about the letter.

I was told that it hadn't been dealt with and that there was a '3 month' wait on letters being dealt with.

Also, that surgery still doesn't have face-to-face appointments (as far as I know).

So, I've luckily managed to change GP to one in a village near my home town.

I will, however, have to start the process of asking for a referral again but hopefully at my new surgery there will be an option to talk to an actual live GP.

• I'm sorry you're still waiting! Some GP's are slow and don't appear to care all that much, mine sounds similar to yours and still not offering face service it's all over the phone which is really not good for me.

I'm meant to be having a cardiac check up soon to monitor how everything is and I've still not heard back about it. I phoned up and had to talk to this horrible receptionist and her exact words were phone up when we're less busy.

Lol. I wish mine had an email service, a WhatsApp service would be an improvement and much more easier for me.

I hope you get your appointment soon Former Member.

• hope you get your appointment soon

Thank you.

Wishing you the same.

Now I've changed GP I will wait a while and then try to make a face to face appointment.

The NHS app looks useful too.

Reply Children