Alexithymia

I have been reading about alexithymia lately. Does anyone here know that they have this, and if so I am interested to know how you describe your feelings. I'm asking because I tend to describe my feelings in terms of an analogy rather than saying what the feeling is e.g. - 'I feel like a deflated bouncy castle.' Would a person with alexithymia be unable to do this? 

Thanks 

Parents
  • I'm not sure if I have it but I find no connection whatsoever between words that describe feelings and the feelings themselves and I have a poor awareness of the sensations in my body and sometimes a feeling comes to me in a form of thought. Just a thought nothing sensed in the body in the meantime.. I'm trying to build more body awareness in therapy. I can sense that I'm feeling something but can't name it and it's so tough to figure "what's going on" in that point.

I describe my feelings in describing a state of being or an image like I feel like an ant who's trying to carry a cherry on its back or I feel that my brain is floating in water in a sunny day or as a small fish in a stormy ocean and so on..

• I'm not sure if I have it but I find no connection whatsoever between words that describe feelings and the feelings themselves and I have a poor awareness of the sensations in my body and sometimes a feeling comes to me in a form of thought. Just a thought nothing sensed in the body in the meantime.. I'm trying to build more body awareness in therapy. I can sense that I'm feeling something but can't name it and it's so tough to figure "what's going on" in that point.

I describe my feelings in describing a state of being or an image like I feel like an ant who's trying to carry a cherry on its back or I feel that my brain is floating in water in a sunny day or as a small fish in a stormy ocean and so on..

Children