Just been diagnosed at 49

I'm 49 yes and I've just been diagnosed with autism.

I feel the NHS as a whole has let me down, I have had problems through out my school and college days and got called Stupid alot whilst in Eduction and in personal time ie: HOME.

I now feel if had been diagnosed sooner I would not of been bullied as much I'd did and still do: it's just not fair Sob.

House

Parents
  • American here.  I've been involved with mental health (MH), complaining over and over for ~13 years maybe??  Anyway, just got diagnosed 2 months ago at 41 only after an autistic friend told me I was autistic, so I sought an assessment for which I paid $900 out of pocket.  When I asked my therapist about it, she indirectly confirmed that she already knew I was autistic.  WTF.  Why did no MH provider tell me straight up?  Is there a cultural rule among NTs that says they can't tell someone they're autistic?

I agree that it sucks.  I wish I would have known.  Things could have been so different.  Whatever.  I may not know where I'm going, but at least I know where I stand now.

• American here.  I've been involved with mental health (MH), complaining over and over for ~13 years maybe??  Anyway, just got diagnosed 2 months ago at 41 only after an autistic friend told me I was autistic, so I sought an assessment for which I paid $900 out of pocket.  When I asked my therapist about it, she indirectly confirmed that she already knew I was autistic.  WTF.  Why did no MH provider tell me straight up?  Is there a cultural rule among NTs that says they can't tell someone they're autistic?

I agree that it sucks.  I wish I would have known.  Things could have been so different.  Whatever.  I may not know where I'm going, but at least I know where I stand now.

Children
No Data