Just been diagnosed at 49

I'm 49 yes and I've just been diagnosed with autism.

I feel the NHS as a whole has let me down, I have had problems through out my school and college days and got called Stupid alot whilst in Eduction and in personal time ie: HOME.

I now feel if had been diagnosed sooner I would not of been bullied as much I'd did and still do: it's just not fair Sob.

House

Parents
  • Hi Golom, I'm 45 and was diagnosed a few months ago, after my diagnosis I was sad and felt like so many systems had failed me - similar to how you describe feeling. I felt that so many people along my life had let me down, because they didn't spot it. Teachers, Doctors, family.  

I was also (over time) relieved to learn there was a reason for why I always felt different and just wasn't like others. I'm grateful that I have the chance to see my life through new lens now, to understand myself better, to be easier on myself - so many people of our age go through their entire lives never knowing. They never get the chance to know.  

There is a process of grieving - because we were failed.  You're not alone in that.   I feel that the rest of my life has a chance to be different now, now that I know.  

Welcome to this chat, you'll find your people here.  

• Hi Golom, I'm 45 and was diagnosed a few months ago, after my diagnosis I was sad and felt like so many systems had failed me - similar to how you describe feeling. I felt that so many people along my life had let me down, because they didn't spot it. Teachers, Doctors, family.  

I was also (over time) relieved to learn there was a reason for why I always felt different and just wasn't like others. I'm grateful that I have the chance to see my life through new lens now, to understand myself better, to be easier on myself - so many people of our age go through their entire lives never knowing. They never get the chance to know.  

There is a process of grieving - because we were failed.  You're not alone in that.   I feel that the rest of my life has a chance to be different now, now that I know.  

Welcome to this chat, you'll find your people here.  

Children
No Data