Autistic Inertia (problems with switching task) tips?

Hello again!

I have recently learned about autistic inertia thanks to Pete Wharmby's book Un-typicaI and have realised this is something I really struggle with but hadn't really given it any thought, until now.

Very briefly Autistic inertia, for anyone who doesn't know, is a difficulty switching tasks (even if you want to). Here's some light further reading - https://autismawarenesscentre.com/what-is-autistic-inertia/

The example Pete gave in his book so perfectly encapsulated my experience, reading a book but wanting a cup of tea. In this example, I can see myself getting up, making the tea, and then sitting and enjoying the tea while I continue to read. I am happy to get up and make the tea but I just...don't. I want to but something blocks me from switching my focus from reading to getting up and making tea.

Of course, this is just one example that doesn't have any major ramifications but it does impact other areas of my life. I wondered whether anyone had any tips or tricks for getting through this? If you also experience this, how do you switch tasks effectively?

Parents
  • Autistic inertia, as you've described it, is the difficulty in starting, stopping, or changing tasks. This is a common challenge for many people on the autism spectrum, and it can certainly have a significant impact on one's life. Here are some strategies that may help with this issue:

1. Use Visual Schedules or Lists: Having a visual schedule or list of tasks can help provide structure and make it easier to transition from one activity to another. This can be a physical list, or you can use an app or digital tool.

2. Break Down Tasks: Large tasks can feel overwhelming and may contribute to inertia. Break down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable steps. This can make it easier to get started and to move from one step to the next.

3. Use Timers: Timers can be a great tool for helping with transitions. You might set a timer for a certain amount of time to focus on your current task, and then when the timer goes off, that's your cue to switch to the next task.

4. Self-Care Practices: Ensure you're taking care of your physical health, as things like sleep deprivation, hunger, or physical discomfort can exacerbate feelings of inertia. Regular exercise, a healthy diet, and adequate sleep can all help.

5. Mindfulness and Grounding Techniques: These can help you stay present and focused. This might involve deep breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation, or other mindfulness exercises.

6. Work with a Therapist or Coach: If you're finding it particularly challenging to manage autistic inertia, working with a professional who understands autism and can provide personalized strategies could be beneficial.

Remember, what works for one person might not work for another, so it can be helpful to try different strategies and see what works best for you. Also, it's important to be patient with yourself. Change takes time, and it's okay to move at your own pace.

• Autistic inertia, as you've described it, is the difficulty in starting, stopping, or changing tasks. This is a common challenge for many people on the autism spectrum, and it can certainly have a significant impact on one's life. Here are some strategies that may help with this issue:

1. Use Visual Schedules or Lists: Having a visual schedule or list of tasks can help provide structure and make it easier to transition from one activity to another. This can be a physical list, or you can use an app or digital tool.

2. Break Down Tasks: Large tasks can feel overwhelming and may contribute to inertia. Break down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable steps. This can make it easier to get started and to move from one step to the next.

3. Use Timers: Timers can be a great tool for helping with transitions. You might set a timer for a certain amount of time to focus on your current task, and then when the timer goes off, that's your cue to switch to the next task.

4. Self-Care Practices: Ensure you're taking care of your physical health, as things like sleep deprivation, hunger, or physical discomfort can exacerbate feelings of inertia. Regular exercise, a healthy diet, and adequate sleep can all help.

5. Mindfulness and Grounding Techniques: These can help you stay present and focused. This might involve deep breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation, or other mindfulness exercises.

6. Work with a Therapist or Coach: If you're finding it particularly challenging to manage autistic inertia, working with a professional who understands autism and can provide personalized strategies could be beneficial.

Remember, what works for one person might not work for another, so it can be helpful to try different strategies and see what works best for you. Also, it's important to be patient with yourself. Change takes time, and it's okay to move at your own pace.

Children
  • Good suggestions! I have problems sticking to the vast majority of what you describe, or forget to set reminders or update lists. They in theirselves become some sort of demand. I know if i set a timer i would more than likely turn it off and continue with what im doing. Please tell us where these magical coaches are!