Tips for telling family your autistic?

Hi All,

I was diagnosed last week as autistic after a 13 month wait for assessment. I wasn't very surprised but I haven't really felt any emotions either way - completely underwhelmed by it!

The only person I have told is my wife who has tolerated me for around 20 years, she also wasn't surprised!

I don't know how to approach it with my family members or even my three young children (child no1 (8years old)  we suspect is also on the spectrum but she doesn't realise yet!)

I was going to 'come out' at family gathering (my nieces 1st Birthday) was going to print out the report and give it to my family members in envelopes at the end of the party as don't want to derail the 'event' - but my wife thought this might be a typically me way of doing it, and maybe insensitive....

Thanks for any tips....

Parents
  • Definitely don't do it at a family event.

Do you really need to come out? I think you should carefully consider the pros and cons. You have told your wife who is the most important person in your life and she sounds supportive. Other people might not be so understanding even with the report in front of them.

• Definitely don't do it at a family event.

Do you really need to come out? I think you should carefully consider the pros and cons. You have told your wife who is the most important person in your life and she sounds supportive. Other people might not be so understanding even with the report in front of them.

Children
No Data