Tips for telling family your autistic?

Hi All,

I was diagnosed last week as autistic after a 13 month wait for assessment. I wasn't very surprised but I haven't really felt any emotions either way - completely underwhelmed by it!

The only person I have told is my wife who has tolerated me for around 20 years, she also wasn't surprised!

I don't know how to approach it with my family members or even my three young children (child no1 (8years old)  we suspect is also on the spectrum but she doesn't realise yet!)

I was going to 'come out' at family gathering (my nieces 1st Birthday) was going to print out the report and give it to my family members in envelopes at the end of the party as don't want to derail the 'event' - but my wife thought this might be a typically me way of doing it, and maybe insensitive....

Thanks for any tips....

Parents
  • Probably not the time to do it

if there’s be person in the family who is absolutely terrible at keeping secrets, just tell them in 100% “confidence”. If your parents are still around maybe mention to the one who is more thought-full. But don’t surprise everyone with information all at once when it’s someone else’s birthday. Afford the child their day and pick another random and casual day to not “come out” but relay interesting information to find out who else has an overlooked potential. 

• Probably not the time to do it

if there’s be person in the family who is absolutely terrible at keeping secrets, just tell them in 100% “confidence”. If your parents are still around maybe mention to the one who is more thought-full. But don’t surprise everyone with information all at once when it’s someone else’s birthday. Afford the child their day and pick another random and casual day to not “come out” but relay interesting information to find out who else has an overlooked potential. 

Children
No Data