What I'd be like if I wasn't masking - a mess of contradictions

Got to the point, particularly at work, where I don't know what's masking and what's me any more. I'm just trying to survive at work without a complete mental breakdown

I feel like I'm a mess of contradictions so I don't fit into anyone's box, even on here sometimes

I'm quiet and sensitive and I like nature and talking to ducks and wildlife. I like cuddly animals and collect hundreds, they're like friends to me. I love writing stories, and reading 

I'm also really sporty and love being around sporty, blokey guys and bantering about football and other stuff 

I feel like whoever I'm with I can only show one side of me and have to hide the other side, it's very confusing 

I'm feeling very low at the moment 

Parents
  • Why do you want to fit into someone else’s box? Just be you. Like what you like. We all have diverse interests and hobbies. I do anyway! Perhaps you feel like you need something in common with others to get along with them? That’s not always the case, but many people with ASD prefer to do exactly that.

As for masking, it covers many facets, so if you feel you must in certain situations, do so, but overall I don’t recommend it. It’s too draining to keep up 24/7. I still mask at work, but certainly not as much as I used to. 

• Why do you want to fit into someone else’s box? Just be you. Like what you like. We all have diverse interests and hobbies. I do anyway! Perhaps you feel like you need something in common with others to get along with them? That’s not always the case, but many people with ASD prefer to do exactly that.

As for masking, it covers many facets, so if you feel you must in certain situations, do so, but overall I don’t recommend it. It’s too draining to keep up 24/7. I still mask at work, but certainly not as much as I used to. 

Children
No Data