How do we deal with being insulted?

This topic came up in another thread, and having struggled with the topic myself for about 5 decades, I'd like to see how the rest of you do it.

For me the response to an insult is often confusion. Did I hear that right? Does it mean what I think it means, and if so WhyTF are they insulting me?

AND HOW SHOULD I RESPOND??

Do you see all those nasty question marks? I don't LIKE having to find answers to questions, on the spot, in real time, that's for sure.

In my case I've always seen it as a form of combat, and I really, really, resent having "combat" in any form thrust upon me unexpectedly, so for many years I've not enjoyed that part of life.

Eventually, after much training and dedication I grew to be the "Butterbean" of insult exchangers, which was one way of solving the problem.

How is it for you?

Parents
  • My go to for strangers who insult me in person is "good morning/afternoon, rude old man" or smile and say "well you're a nasty little bully, aren't you?"

• And no one snaps back with something facile like "It takes one to know one"?

I never get away with doubling down on the nastiness, even if I win the encounter, I still feel dirtied afterwards. 

What's worse is that people seem to give you respect and kudos for being able to "out nasty" other people,.so I'm feeling dirty for what I did and getting applause for it at the same time!

There's owt so strange as folk.

• And no one snaps back with something facile like "It takes one to know one"?

I never get away with doubling down on the nastiness, even if I win the encounter, I still feel dirtied afterwards. 

What's worse is that people seem to give you respect and kudos for being able to "out nasty" other people,.so I'm feeling dirty for what I did and getting applause for it at the same time!

There's owt so strange as folk.

Children
  • I get the feeling that I've been dirtied too. I hated my behaviour, if I ever did it, even if it was in self-defence.

• Usually their response is more "you f******* *** I'll bash your head in[Edited by Moderator]." I don't go outside after dark as I can't stay awake, so there's usually enough people around to discourage actual violence, and at this point I don't care. I'm done letting people abuse me every day and pretending to like it. Some people are violent regardless of how nice you are so there's no point.