How do we deal with being insulted?

This topic came up in another thread, and having struggled with the topic myself for about 5 decades, I'd like to see how the rest of you do it.

For me the response to an insult is often confusion. Did I hear that right? Does it mean what I think it means, and if so WhyTF are they insulting me?

AND HOW SHOULD I RESPOND??

Do you see all those nasty question marks? I don't LIKE having to find answers to questions, on the spot, in real time, that's for sure.

In my case I've always seen it as a form of combat, and I really, really, resent having "combat" in any form thrust upon me unexpectedly, so for many years I've not enjoyed that part of life.

Eventually, after much training and dedication I grew to be the "Butterbean" of insult exchangers, which was one way of solving the problem.

How is it for you?

Parents
  • Various options depending on situation and intent. 1. Blow up which doesn't happen anymore and would do with only 2 certain people in my life (and usully when ive mis interpreted something). 2. It doesnt register till too late or doesn't register at all. 3. With humour which I find is the best way. 4. Letting them know they have cheesed me off (this is a new one....people need to know if they have annoyed me). 5. Letting it go, they might be having a bad day.

I find insult a strange way to describe this response. I don't often feel insulted. Although, it's human nature to be insulted but it doesn't register as this way with me. If you had used "hurt" that would be easier to describe. If you're talking about insult with intent I don't tend to have nasty people in my life.

• Various options depending on situation and intent. 1. Blow up which doesn't happen anymore and would do with only 2 certain people in my life (and usully when ive mis interpreted something). 2. It doesnt register till too late or doesn't register at all. 3. With humour which I find is the best way. 4. Letting them know they have cheesed me off (this is a new one....people need to know if they have annoyed me). 5. Letting it go, they might be having a bad day.

I find insult a strange way to describe this response. I don't often feel insulted. Although, it's human nature to be insulted but it doesn't register as this way with me. If you had used "hurt" that would be easier to describe. If you're talking about insult with intent I don't tend to have nasty people in my life.

Children
No Data