How do we deal with being insulted?

This topic came up in another thread, and having struggled with the topic myself for about 5 decades, I'd like to see how the rest of you do it.

For me the response to an insult is often confusion. Did I hear that right? Does it mean what I think it means, and if so WhyTF are they insulting me?

AND HOW SHOULD I RESPOND??

Do you see all those nasty question marks? I don't LIKE having to find answers to questions, on the spot, in real time, that's for sure.

In my case I've always seen it as a form of combat, and I really, really, resent having "combat" in any form thrust upon me unexpectedly, so for many years I've not enjoyed that part of life.

Eventually, after much training and dedication I grew to be the "Butterbean" of insult exchangers, which was one way of solving the problem.

How is it for you?

Parents
  • depends... often people insult me when they have no case or reply against my argument... in that case i often challenge them and point out how by doing that they are conceding the argument as by attacking the person and not the argument they are saying that your argument is valid and they have nothing against it so have to insult you instead or change the topic, meaning they concede defeat... so i dunno, when you get insulted by someone often its a case that you actually won a argument and you need to stay focused on that and not let them sway the topic or make you forget the argument, stay to your point and have them confirm that they have indeed not got anything to say about the argument and they drop out and are reduced to insults 

• depends... often people insult me when they have no case or reply against my argument... in that case i often challenge them and point out how by doing that they are conceding the argument as by attacking the person and not the argument they are saying that your argument is valid and they have nothing against it so have to insult you instead or change the topic, meaning they concede defeat... so i dunno, when you get insulted by someone often its a case that you actually won a argument and you need to stay focused on that and not let them sway the topic or make you forget the argument, stay to your point and have them confirm that they have indeed not got anything to say about the argument and they drop out and are reduced to insults 

Children
No Data