Non smartphone users of the world unite!

Who else on this forum doesn't own a smartphone? Comment on here if you don't have one. 
I would love to know your reasons why as well

I have been heartened to know that I am not alone in standing against the mind numbing, anxiety machines that rule the modern world!

Parents
  • I have never owned a smartphone, but I do have a basic 3G PAYG mobile phone, which I purchased back in 2018, originally intended for emergency use only when my dad became seriously unwell.

For the most part, I see no need to own a smartphone, although I am increasingly starting to feel that I'm being forced to go down that route.

I have a landline phone with a built-in answer machine. As I found out in the past, one gets charged for listening to voicemail messages on a mobile phone, which is something I object to. Also, one of the benefits of using a landline phone is that my son can use it too, without the need for things like facial recognition.

I own a desktop PC, with a decent-sized monitor screen. Why would I want to swap that for a smartphone with a considerably smaller-sized screen? In addition, I don't need to worry about things like mobile phone data packages. 

I own a digital camera, which is another reason why I feel I have no need for a smartphone.

• I love answer machines. My Grampy had one and when he recorded his leave a message he sneezed midway through the message so if phone him and he wasn't in I got to hear that lol. It was always funny and made me smile to myself.

Reply Children
  • My own answer machine greeting is rather boring, mainly because I've never bothered to record my own, or at least not with my current phone. However, I've been fortunate enough to hear some rather amusing answer machine greetings over the years. 

• I had one where I set the message as if I'd answered, but could not hear the caller...

It used to wind my dad up a treat...

I used to have a lot of schadenfreud listing to the inevitable very confused messages people who did not know me would leave..