Class

I was brought up to believe that we are divided socially into classes:

1.  Working class.

2.  Middle class.

3.  Aristocracy.

I also read decades ago that classes were less relevant and were disappearing.

I'm curious as to what others think so here are some questions:

1.  What class were you born into?

2.  What class are you now?

3.  Do you believe in 1 and 2?

4.  ie Do you think class exists?

5.  Do you think you can move class?

Also, without Googlerating, I'd be curious as to how these classes are defined.

I've tended to think of them as not only to do with our financial situation, but also to do with tastes, interests and education.

With regard to me, I was born working class and ?probably? still am.

Parents
  • Classes aren’t as important as they used to be by the seems of it but I think a lot of it depends on where you’re from.

There’s some upper class locations which someone from a working class background would never be welcome, not out of spite, not really, but just because it’s the way people were brought up. To them, it’s right.

The area I’m from classes don’t really play much of a part in life anymore. Here we are all as one. Some people I  think decide their own class.

There’s one man who lives at the end of the track road and he has a very nice old Mercedes which likely when new would have been bought by someone well off, a person who was important and wanted people to know he or she had money and mattered. My late dad used to say a person’s car in some cases told you a lot about that person.

I don’t know how true it is but in the man who lives down the track from my estate I think it may be true.

He dresses smartly too, seems to have the finer things in life but I remember my dad saying he was from poor stock. So working class.

Anyway to answer your questions Debbie… :)

1. I think I was born into working class. At times it felt like middle class but I think that’s because we had a working farm but my dad never stopped and never had many of the finer things in life and neither did I.

But we did have a big farm estate, lots of livestock and were able to bounce back from Foot & Mouth disease twice, before I was born.

2. Definitely working class LOL.

3. I do believe in it yes. I don’t think it really matters though.

4. Classes do exist still, they don’t play as important a role as they used to but I think it does depend on the area.

5. I think you can move class for sure.

What an interesting topic! I’ve not really thought about this before but this is actually interesting to think about. 

I am definitely working class but at times, perhaps when I was first born I might have been middle class.

Fascinating this is! :)

Do you think class matters? Former Member I would be interested to know your opinion on this topic.

• Do you think class matters?  I would be interested to know your opinion on this topic.

I will need to think on this as the word 'matters' is very relative.

'Matters' to whom is what is in my mind.

I've got a visitor soon but I intend to return.

Thank you for the question.

• Thank you for the original post! 

Glad I've got to see it.

Matters is so relevant as it depends on the person, their views, interests and so on.

I know for myself class never crosses my mind but for some it will be all they think about.

• Thank you for the original post! 

Glad I've got to see it.

Matters is so relevant as it depends on the person, their views, interests and so on.

I know for myself class never crosses my mind but for some it will be all they think about.

Children
No Data