Class

I was brought up to believe that we are divided socially into classes:

1.  Working class.

2.  Middle class.

3.  Aristocracy.

I also read decades ago that classes were less relevant and were disappearing.

I'm curious as to what others think so here are some questions:

1.  What class were you born into?

2.  What class are you now?

3.  Do you believe in 1 and 2?

4.  ie Do you think class exists?

5.  Do you think you can move class?

Also, without Googlerating, I'd be curious as to how these classes are defined.

I've tended to think of them as not only to do with our financial situation, but also to do with tastes, interests and education.

With regard to me, I was born working class and ?probably? still am.

Parents
  • Hmm interesting question. I think it depends on the people, to some people it doesn't matter, to others it does and classes are still a major part of their lives.

I come from working class family and area. That's what I was born in to. A house of six, including my parents, living in a house that wasn't really fit to be lived in by mice let alone us!

I'm right at the top of classes now, not that it's really important for me or my family. My hobby of game making brought in the big bucks and suddenly I climbed to the top. But only money got me to where I am. I don't have it in my blood like some people do and I don't forget that I was and suppose still am of working class blood.

Never forget your roots, be proud of them. That's my motto.

• My hobby of game making brought in the big bucks and suddenly I climbed to the top. But only money got me to where I am. I don't have it in my blood like some people do and I don't forget that I was and suppose still am of working class blood.

My situation is similar- not quite game development money but still a pretty good income. I don't think I'll ever forget what it was like to be much closer to the bottom of the pile, and that's why people like you and me are probably still working class really. Like footballers- they earn a LOT of money but their backgrounds tend to be working class, and when you look at the priorities of players like Marcus Rashford it's clear that they're still much closer to their roots than their incomes would suggest.

• My hobby of game making brought in the big bucks and suddenly I climbed to the top. But only money got me to where I am. I don't have it in my blood like some people do and I don't forget that I was and suppose still am of working class blood.

My situation is similar- not quite game development money but still a pretty good income. I don't think I'll ever forget what it was like to be much closer to the bottom of the pile, and that's why people like you and me are probably still working class really. Like footballers- they earn a LOT of money but their backgrounds tend to be working class, and when you look at the priorities of players like Marcus Rashford it's clear that they're still much closer to their roots than their incomes would suggest.

Children