What's gender?

A discussion in this forum made me ask myself this question, what's gender?. I googled it but what I found there didn't make much sense to me. I always thought that the gender of the other person doesn't tell me much about who they are. It just informs me about the appropriate pronouns that this person wants me to use with them. Frankly I don't care about figuring out my gender. I was born in a woman's body and I never felt like it's the wrong one. I think I'd feel the same if I was born in a man's body. I have never spent time thinking about this part of myself because I never thought that it's important enough to me. I'll be the same person anyway, no? I don't think it would change much about who I am... Can anyone share how they understand gender?

Parents
  • Ree,

I perceive this as a tri-polar topic......people either start shouting or go and hide.

TRIBE 1 = Confused and/or apathetic about getting into discussions about it & quite fearful to do so.

TRIBE 2 = Passionately in favour of rights and wanting to talk of them and their importance.

TRIBE 3 = Passionately in favour of rights and wanting to talk of them and their importance.

This isn't a typo above.  Tribe 2 and tribe 3 are correctly identical - but diametrically opposed - and both equally splintered too.

I do find myself wholly distracted from the subject matter by the tension and tribal nature that has so rapidly developed around it.

I am startled by the "overwhelming passions" exhibited in relation to such an opaque and recently manifested topic area.

"Overwhelming passion" is great in a double bed, but often a catalyst for disaster on a tribal scale......and potentially a forum scale too!

I am currently very fearful for all the tribes.

These are my thoughts on this.

Number.

• There's structural inevitability to all of the tribes (and their subtly shifting counterweighting ratios) as all moments of 'new (mainstream) territory' meet with friction designed by evolution's blueprint to pace that inevitable positive change so that the wheels don't come off day to day stability while we edge towards the promised land. Best thing you can do is be your own authentic voice and accept that you're an avatar for either resistance or acceptance of where we're going. The equations are already set to what they presently need to be, so 'crossing the floor' to the future-embracing 'side' (greater inclusiveness without fear) will only happen in rare and carefully rationed proportions - one changed mind just now and again, but more in the next generation - a steady but paced acceleration. 

• There's structural inevitability to all of the tribes (and their subtly shifting counterweighting ratios) as all moments of 'new (mainstream) territory' meet with friction designed by evolution's blueprint to pace that inevitable positive change so that the wheels don't come off day to day stability while we edge towards the promised land. Best thing you can do is be your own authentic voice and accept that you're an avatar for either resistance or acceptance of where we're going. The equations are already set to what they presently need to be, so 'crossing the floor' to the future-embracing 'side' (greater inclusiveness without fear) will only happen in rare and carefully rationed proportions - one changed mind just now and again, but more in the next generation - a steady but paced acceleration. 

Children