Dislike of dogs

Hi all,

I’ve been a bit hesitant to post this as we seem to live in a society where saying you’re not keen on dogs is viewed on the same level as saying you enjoy burning children’s Christmas presents, but here goes. 

I’ve always been very wary around dogs, and have never understood the growing fascination with owning/taking pictures of/talking about them. It’s not a fear as such - I just don’t really get it and I find them unpredictable. Particularly when their owners have them off the lead, and think shouting “It’s okay - he’s harmless!” as their four-legged friend bounds up to you is a substitute for being in control. This is exacerbated by the fact that I like running, and whenever I’m running towards someone walking a dog off the lead I automatically get anxious because I don’t know if it will keep calm or suddenly bolt and get under my feet as I run past. I even under up slowing down as I approach these situations as it causes me to hesitate!

I always just figured I was a bit miserable, but in the light of my ASD diagnosis I thought I’d put it out there to see if anyone felt similar? I see a lot about autistic people having a love of animals but not too much of the opposite, so I don’t have high hopes!

• Thank you for putting this post. I too thought I was the only one who didn't like dogs. 

I don't have a problem with people owning dogs if they like them, but I do have a problem if they invade my personal space. 

A lot of people near me walk their dogs off the lead which is ok if they are obedient and stay with owners. I no longer walk across a local open space because that is an area where other dogs have been attacked. 

People saying they are ok does not help. I don't want a dog jumping up on my clothes and slobbering all over me. Then there are two types with dogs on leads. There are those who take up the whole path with their two dogs and are oblivious, then there are considerate people who cross the road or move over. 

People not clearing up after their dogs makes walks less relaxing. Also with a strong sense of smell I can smell where any fresh deposits have been.

The other thing I find hard is when they suddenly bark as I am jumpy at sudden noises. A lady apologised to me yesterday and I accepted her apology as I think me coming around the corner probably made the dog jump too. 

My ideal, like some places are dog friendly, would be to have the opposite, open spaces where we could walk knowing we didn't have to be on high alert. Failing that I wish all people who take their dogs for a walk would train them so they are in control and be considerate to those who may not be dog lovers.

• You may be pleased to know that my dog is extremely helpful and always poos close to bins so that minimal poo-carrying is needed Joy

• I'm completely with you on the daddy longlegs thing, I've always been scared of them. The secondary school I went to used to have swarms of them and some of the boys (bullies) used to scoop up handfuls of them and shove them down girls blouses!

• I'm not a dog person at all to be honest. I love cats but I find dogs can be too energetic and I don't like the feel of the fur of rough dogs or the slobbery ones as it grosses me out. I'm okay with friends dogs though once I get to know them.

I'm definitely more of a cat person! 

• Wasps and bluebottles are pretty annoying but nothing freaks me out as much as crane flies / daddy longlegs Scream The way their legs hang in that weird way as they're flying and that tapping noise they make as they hit off the ceiling and walls - it's the stuff of nightmares for me! It doesn't help that they're prone to just flying straight at you when you walk into a room... whenever there's one in my house I have to get a family member to catch it and put it outside because otherwise I can't relax.

I'm fine with most other spiders, except those house spiders that grow to a gigantic size and can move faster than the blink of an eye Sweat smile

• I detest almost all dogs too. This stems from bad childhood interactions including being attacked by one twice, and my nana’s hideous angry nasty Jack Russell. But it’s beyond that too - they smell (as always do their owner’s houses), they drool, and the boy dog’s do disgusting things with their tackle. Then there’s my neighbour’s who have a loud barky Staffie cross thing which winds me up and up and up. Ok part, even a lot of this is down to poor or non existent training by humans but at the end of the day it’s the dog which is the source of noise/smell/aggression. With only one exception I don’t have friends or people in my life with dogs, their choice to have 5hem mine not to have these people. This is just how it is for me and I know others feel different but the question was posed and this is my answer. 

• Owning a dog=carrying dog faeces in a bag. 

• I dunno….I mean as long you’re not wishing (in which case I’d suggest therapy) or actually inflicting (legal intervention) harm on the little beasties;to each there own. No one else knows what lurks in peoples past’s or genes. 

• I'm not a dog person, too big and scary for my liking. I like cats best of all. They're friendly, warm and they used to get the mice from my attic. Result. Smile

• The only thing that would stress me out more is a bluebottle or wasp or something getting into the house. All that chaotic richocheting and sounding aggressively loud fills me with a terror that I know I should be embarrassed about, but at 45 I'm still unable to deal with. I've spend hours locked in one small room while a fly 1/500th my size takes charge of the rest of my house. I'm very careful to try never to let anything fly in. Windows can be opened only a fraction, the front door can never be left open for longer than it takes to step through it. 

• No offence at all, your post made me smile actually - your description of encountering dogs while cycling in the 80's was brilliant! Laughing And even though I love dogs I also wash my hands as soon as they get licked Sweat smile

I feel calm around pets because an animal simply doesn't care that I can't make small talk and they won't judge me for stimming or being awkward so I feel like I can unmask around them. But the replies in this thread are really interesting to me because I never thought about how the unpredictability of dogs could cause stress to an autistic person but it makes total sense.

• I've heard it said that all cats are autistic.

• I hope none of what I said below offended, CR. I think it's lovely that you have that affinity, and I slightly regret my comic exaggeration lest it inadvertently hurt anyone's feelings. Obviously people used to dogs and that slight dog smell in a home find it a nice thing. I think they are also sensitive to people's moods, so when I come in all sketchy with fight or flight it makes them a bit wild. If I could be more centred when in a room with one, they'd probably chill out quicker. 

• I agree. Same with horses. In fact, any obviously unpredictable animal near me.

I love nearly all cats, they are usually gentle, sensitive and calm. Same as the people I like the most I'd say

• I personally love dogs! If treated well and loved by their owners they can be wonderful pets. Sadly they're often used and abused by a lot of people. I've had my dog for 9 years now. She's such a sweetie. Even now she loves galloping through the grass. She's excellent with people, never aggressive and only off the lead when appropriate when we're out. 

• I like dogs and have one of my own. What I don't like is owners who let their dogs off the lead with no training, because I find both owner and dog to be unpredictable, and that's a bit scary to me. I also find the bark on some little dogs to be really grating and sometimes quite painful.

I have a greyhound myself- he's quiet and gentle and likes his routines as much as I like mine. Obviously he is pretty big though so I don't expect anyone who's wary of dogs to come up and give him a cuddle!

• But maybe a wee cat, one day. They are clean, and even tempered, and mostly calm and relaxed

• We never had a pet at home (well, a goldfish and later a hamster) but not one of the big two. I'm definitely more of a cat person if I had to choose.

I'm less easily scared by them than I was. It's been a journey. As a child of the 80s, I was raised in a time when feral dogs roamed the streets without any owner supervision. You'd turn a corner on your bike and come face to face with the hound of the Baskervilles. Or a ferocious pitbull. Then you'd drop your bike and sprint for your life. But they'd chase you down and what felt like an attempted mauling would ensue. If you were lucky, an adult or the owner would casually call out 'he's just playing with you' while the mauling continued, and then maybe thirty seconds later might go, 'Spike, heel' or whatever and show some mercy. 

I've always found most houses with dogs in impossible to relax in. Unless it's some wee snuffly quiet small thing - a... are they called Westies? There's one opposite my house and she stands up at the gate when you pass and she is a cute wee thing but I'm still kind of glad that I don't have to deal with the confusing mayhem of her being my side of the wall. 

When I was about six years old, I was in Co. Wicklow with my parents, on a walk through a big estate called Avondale. We were just about here... ...when over that hill came the thunderous and baying swarm of a pack of hounds and some fox-hunters on thundering horses. My mother's own fear of dogs transmitted itself to me in a massive spike of shared adrenaline and we all jumped up on this stone monument thing (just out of frame) while these ravenous beasts roared past in a big pack, surging round the monumnet and onward in pursuit of their no doubt terrified quarry. 

Anyway, that didn't help I'd say.

I occasionally visit two friends of mine (a married couple) in their lovely house. They have a dog - a cockapoo or something - and even though it's less hyper than their previous one, I still get really tense, waiting for him to bound in from the hall, rear up on me, bark unexpectedly, chew my shoe laces etc. The whole time I try to convey that I'm OK with it, and I know he's just excited by new company - I  should be honoured. So there's a guilt factor as well - it's like extra extra masking and I'm exhausted when I get home - a coiled spring of unreleased tension. One time the dog licked my hand while we were having pizza. I had to go into the kitchen to wash my hands, but it probably seemed really rude. there's just no way I could carry on eating with saliava hands. And that dog small gets into everything. All fabrics. I can still smell it on me until I get home, take a bath, and wash my clothes. 

And yet... I see how much pleasure and unconditional love he gives them. And I know I'm the one who's not quite right in the head about it. Or rather, I can see it in my philosophy, but could never do the lived experience. Hygeine and calm are too important to me. 

• I absolutely adore dogs and all animals (I'm one of those autistics who prefers them to people) but I completely understand that some people are wary of them! Someone might have a phobia or just general anxiety around certain animals and all pet owners should be considerate of that.

• Me and dogs are in complete agreement.  We both dislike and mistrust each other.  I'm a cat Cat person.