Have I ever had depression?

I recently realised I am Autistic after I retired from a long and successful career. Over the years I have repeatedly been treated for depression. Now I am wondering if I ever had depression. If not is there any point in me taking antidepressants. I am aware that I must not suddenly stop antidepressants and I will take it slowly and carefully and doubt I will ever stop altogether. I am aware that being Autistic does not mean I cannot also gave depression.

Has anyone else been though this?

Are there any neurophysiologists out there who can advise?

Parents
  • I was depressed in my late teens but now i know it's because i was autistic without knowing it and felt disconnected from those around me. I felt isolated, confused, and had very low self-esteem and self-confidence. I didn't know what was up with me basically. I never went down the anti-depressant route....my mother went to see a well respected medical herbalist on my behalf and the prescription was so effective i went on to study herbal medicine at Lincoln University. 

So in my case i firmly believe i was depressed because my autism was missed (both by me and healthcare professionals). I've never felt depressed since then despite some horrible life events. I often feel numb and have trouble labelling my emotions however 

• Sadly, my problems started when I took St John's Wort thinking it was a mild alternative to other antidepressants. Big mistakes!

• Was it just over the counter stuff? If i were to see a herbalist in the future i would only go to one registered with NIMH (National Institute of Medical Herbalists). There are so many dodgy healers out there that do more harm than good 

• Was it just over the counter stuff? If i were to see a herbalist in the future i would only go to one registered with NIMH (National Institute of Medical Herbalists). There are so many dodgy healers out there that do more harm than good 

Children
  • The problem is that natural remedies tend to be thought if as being more  inocuous.

Yes true and also they get treated like pharmaceutical alternatives which they are not. 

I think what I am trying towirk out is that, if reducing my antidepressants will have any effect on my Autism?

There are probably others on here who can give you better advice about that as i've never taken anti-depressants 

• The problem is that natural remedies tend to be thought if as being more  inocuous. I  now know differently. I was actually recommended to take St John's Wort by a GP as I wanted something mild to get me through a short but difficult time. Once hooked I then had to take other antidepressants. 

This takes me away fro my original question which is that I am trying to distinguish between my Autism and my depression. I know distinguishing the two is difficult. I think what I am trying towirk out is that, if reducing my antidepressants will have any effect on my Autism?