Have I ever had depression?

I recently realised I am Autistic after I retired from a long and successful career. Over the years I have repeatedly been treated for depression. Now I am wondering if I ever had depression. If not is there any point in me taking antidepressants. I am aware that I must not suddenly stop antidepressants and I will take it slowly and carefully and doubt I will ever stop altogether. I am aware that being Autistic does not mean I cannot also gave depression.

Has anyone else been though this?

Are there any neurophysiologists out there who can advise?

Parents
  • I was depressed in my late teens but now i know it's because i was autistic without knowing it and felt disconnected from those around me. I felt isolated, confused, and had very low self-esteem and self-confidence. I didn't know what was up with me basically. I never went down the anti-depressant route....my mother went to see a well respected medical herbalist on my behalf and the prescription was so effective i went on to study herbal medicine at Lincoln University. 

So in my case i firmly believe i was depressed because my autism was missed (both by me and healthcare professionals). I've never felt depressed since then despite some horrible life events. I often feel numb and have trouble labelling my emotions however 

• I was depressed in my late teens but now i know it's because i was autistic without knowing it and felt disconnected from those around me. I felt isolated, confused, and had very low self-esteem and self-confidence. I didn't know what was up with me basically. I never went down the anti-depressant route....my mother went to see a well respected medical herbalist on my behalf and the prescription was so effective i went on to study herbal medicine at Lincoln University. 

So in my case i firmly believe i was depressed because my autism was missed (both by me and healthcare professionals). I've never felt depressed since then despite some horrible life events. I often feel numb and have trouble labelling my emotions however 

Children