Autistic fatigue?

Hello im new here, my name is Gareth, 41 years old, I was diagnosed in 2020 just before pandemic hit. Fun times. Grinning

Every few months I have been hitting a wall in terms of energy levels, I enjoy working out as part of my routine and when these energy dips happen it can take a few weeks for them to return to normal.

Ive just heard about autistic fatigue and was wondering if anybody else has experience of this in regards to their energy levels?

Thanks

Parents
  • I was diagnosed AS in lockdown.  I now know fatigue is different to tiredness. I now know the feeling I had pre-diagnosis was fatigue. I know this because there are some comparable feelings between that and a health condition I now have which is a bit like cfs.  They feel quite  similar. I wonder if some of it is down to becoming deconditioned during lockdown to a world which was more suitable. I also wonder if some of it comes as some sort of post-diagnosis release. Have you looked into spoon theory?

• I wonder if some of it is down to becoming deconditioned during lockdown to a world which was more suitable.

This would make so much sense. I guess as well as the vast difference to the lockdown period some of us enjoyed, there is so much that seems to be going on in the world, one thing after another. 

• My friend gave me good advice. Stick to your own little bubble of work, family, pets,  friends, colleagues. The world is too big and complicated for our primitive brains.

• I share your concerns.  Humanity eh?  It was fun whilst it lasted. 

• Hi Malojian.

Artic Sink Holes (actually exploding land - leaving something that looks like a sink hole) is my latest dalliance with the depressing realities of the current world.

I tend to deal in specifics of my own choosing = from which, I can form a "generalised" understanding of the world.  I piece it together myself, rather than trying to follow the prescriptive narrative presented beautifully and conveniently (for the Normies.)  The feedback loop of melting perma-frost is terrifying.

I find myself understanding that a reasonably small Artic sink hole emits circa 10 tons of methane a day ie equivalent to 800 tonnes of CO2 per day (because methane has circa 80 times the global warming potential of CO2) - and a web page visit generally can considered to raise about 10grams of CO2 - but we do a lot of those as a species these days !

With a mind like mine, and a resource like the "interweb thingy" it would be naive of me to think that I would cocoon myself in blissful ignorance whilst the world around me burns.

What a happy train of thought for a Tuesday evening !

Number

• Yes same here. And I think I’m glad we didn’t have mobile phones etc until I was older - luckily my kids managed to have most of their childhood before then too. 

• We are certainly cut from the same cloth then.

• You make interesting observations, definitely easier during lockdown. 

I have wondered why I suffer more fatigue than I think I used to, although did not know I was autistic then. I had use of the internet and smart phone quite late on and I grew up during a time where the pace of life was slower.

• Me too.  I find myself "needing to know" about what is going on in the world.....depressing and overwhelming or otherwise.  I'm sure it isn't good for me - but that is just how I am.

• This is definitely great advice that i wish i could follow.  I think it's too late for me to change personalities though unfortunately.  I've been interested in the wider world since i was teenager.  Maybe i just need to cultivate something else to focus on.  New special interests etc.  This is undoubtedly the case.  Also i think Autistic people just struggle with balance,

• I've thought this for a long time zoe and its caused me a lot of overthinking and sadness but I've turned it around a bit lately. We do have choices but sometimes life is so fast we don't see it

• Hello you...........welcome.

Reply Children
No Data