40+ No driving license, passport, bank account, etc...

I'm so embarrassed to apply for these things and that's why I keep putting it off. Embarrassed and ashamed because of my age and been judged. Because I don't have any forms of ID, it makes it hard to acquire ID. You can't open a bank account without a passport or a driving license and vice versa. I was told the only way forward is to apply for a passport, but I would have to attend immigration to determine my identity and it would be an hour interrogation. I tried to open a bank with my government benefit documents and birth certificate but that failed, so my only option was to open a bank account for people in debt that requires a monthly fee. However these types of banks cant be used as ID because anyone can apply for them. Been interrogated by immigration and all the personal questions they would ask, fills me with dread.

Parents
  • The UK is one of the few European countries that does not have a National Identity Card.  My mother (93) still has her National Identity Card from during the war, but they were stopped in the late '40s because people wanted to be "free" after the wartime regulations. Mum was asked for ID and produced hers, much to the bemusement of the bank cashier, who called a manager. Despite the photo being sixty years out of date, he laughed and said it was OK. 

However, we are now living in a digital age. Most of us do not know all our neighbours. We no longer have local banks where the cashiers and bank manager know your name. Even the GP surgery has several different doctors.

The current system discriminates against disabled people. Some people are not allowed to drive because of medical conditions. Many people find it hard to travel abroad because health insurance is so complicated and expensive for disabled people, so why get a passport?

Most people already carry multiple forms of identification. I have a senior bus pass, driving licence, several ID cards for the various places where I work, credit and debit cards, club cards ...  and each one leaves a digital trail. I cannot see that a National Identity Card would be any more of a constraint on individual freedom.

@Thomas0856  You might find a Credit Union more amenable to opening an account without a passport or driving licence, if you have utility bills, benefit letters etc and a birth certificate. Maybe contact your local council to ask about the cards they issue to voters without ID.

Another poster has mentioned a website providing fake ID. This appears to be a US site. Certainly here in the UK, it is an offence to possess a fake ID document, with a penalty of up to ten years imprisonment. [Identity Documents Act 2010 s.4] Unlike the USA, we have a central register at DVLA and police can check if your licence is valid in seconds. I believe that some credit reference agencies also have limited access to official databases to confirm that identity documents are genuine. If you are found out your account will be closed and you will find it almost impossible to get any sort of financial services anywhere in the world for several years, even if you don't go to prison.

• Another poster has mentioned a website providing fake ID. This appears to be a US site.

That post seems to be spam, which has bumped a 5 month old discussion. I've reported the post.

Reply Children
No Data