Bullies from the past.

Just interested if anyone else has met a person in adult life who bullied them at school.

My father ran a small coach business, the yard had an office and occasionally people would book a coach in person. One day I was on my own in the yard, I would have been about 35 then. One of the school bullies turned up to book a coach. He was one of the worst ones, anyway he greeted me like an old friend, it shocked me and I was like a rabbit in the headlights. He really was after ‘mates rates’,  I really didn’t know how to deal with him, had he forgotten or thought it was just a bit of fun, I couldn’t work it out, I started to wonder, did the years of abuse actually happen? But  they are too vivid, they did happen. Another thought was, he’s pushing me for a cheap price, is he trying to bully me again. I so wanted to ask him why he did it but couldn’t. My father luckily came back to the yard and dealt with his enquiry. 
Has anything similar happened to anyone else?

Parents
  • I've talked online quite a lot about the bullying I was subjected to at boarding school,especially public school . I'd not discussed it much with any MH professional until recently. My care coordinator/depot nurse was quick to describe it as 'bullying related trauma' . Nearly 50 years on I still struggle with the effects re fragile self confidence,esteem, and worth . It's made me very avoidant re several attempts to persuade me to do a 'bricks and mortar' college course.

• Hello Firemonkey.

Nice to see you back.  FYI - If you can manage a "bricks and mortar" college course, I can assure you that it would bolster your "fragile self confidence, esteem and worth".......because the building industry is crying out for people with those skills at the moment.....NT Builders would love you and make allowances for you as well, I suspect (from what I gather of the building trade these days.)

Brick laying and helping on building sites is the type of activity that you can do on your own terms too...ie when you feel able to work, you work....when you don't feel able, you don't work.  You don't need to be able to compete with younger more experienced people - anyone who can do a trade....is welcome and respected...from what I can gather.

I'm not preaching here....you also talk of "avoidant".....and that is something I know extremely intimately !

It is good that you are now facilitated to talk about your school experiences....they can be unsavoury for many, so its good for you to let those demons out of your mind at this stage - I would imagine?

Best wishes

Number.

• Apologies for not explaining things adequately enough . 'Bricks and mortar' as in 

brick-and-mortar

adjective

brick-and-mor·​tar ˈbrik-ən(d)-ˈmȯr-tər 
    variants or bricks-and-mortar
    : relating to or being a traditional business serving customers in a building as contrasted to an online business
    a brick-and-mortar store
  • Nope - that one is on me mate.  I am posting too much - not allowing my brain time to think.  I'll be cutting back my time in this place next week - I'm beginning to feel like a pest and busy body = I hate that feeling.

I am still pleased to see you back in any event - a distinctive name and lovely photo of you sitting on your grandpa's knee.  Lovely !

And yes - I am joking.

• It was an appropriate response to my not well explained post. Not nonsensical at all.

• I did wonder.......thank you for clarifying......and just ignore all my nonsense above......unless you do feel like learning a building trade.

Reply Children
  • Nope - that one is on me mate.  I am posting too much - not allowing my brain time to think.  I'll be cutting back my time in this place next week - I'm beginning to feel like a pest and busy body = I hate that feeling.

I am still pleased to see you back in any event - a distinctive name and lovely photo of you sitting on your grandpa's knee.  Lovely !

And yes - I am joking.

• It was an appropriate response to my not well explained post. Not nonsensical at all.