Do I really need the diagnosis......

am new here so be gentle....

am in my late 30's, never really fit in my whole life and always struggled with....well just life.....over 10 years ago my son was diagnosed very young and I through myself into researching autism.....and supporting him in every way I thought possible. So now over 30 years into my life and over 10 years into my son's diagnisos it has become so blatantly obvious I am autistic.

My husband says so much makes sense now and I agree so much in life makes sense.

So I know, my nearest and dearest all know but I still crave a diagnosis and I dont know how to explain why.......was anyone else like this??

Parents
  • I have been wondering for about 5 years and had been putting off assessment as I read the DSM 5 and couldn't see how I could meet all the criteria.  However, my wife is convinced and my mum says she thought I had traits when I was younger.  I have done all the online tests and a lot of thinking and I'm as sure as I can be too.  If I don't do it now, I will still be wondering in 5 years.

I now want to talk to an actual expert in diagnosis to get their opinion.  I can then feel justified in seeing my struggles through this new prism which I am hoping can help explain them better.  Without a diagnosis (or not as it might be) I can't really move on in my journey towards some degree of stability with my appalling mental health.

• I have been wondering for about 5 years and had been putting off assessment as I read the DSM 5 and couldn't see how I could meet all the criteria.  However, my wife is convinced and my mum says she thought I had traits when I was younger.  I have done all the online tests and a lot of thinking and I'm as sure as I can be too.  If I don't do it now, I will still be wondering in 5 years.

I now want to talk to an actual expert in diagnosis to get their opinion.  I can then feel justified in seeing my struggles through this new prism which I am hoping can help explain them better.  Without a diagnosis (or not as it might be) I can't really move on in my journey towards some degree of stability with my appalling mental health.

Children
No Data