Do I really need the diagnosis......

am new here so be gentle....

am in my late 30's, never really fit in my whole life and always struggled with....well just life.....over 10 years ago my son was diagnosed very young and I through myself into researching autism.....and supporting him in every way I thought possible. So now over 30 years into my life and over 10 years into my son's diagnisos it has become so blatantly obvious I am autistic.

My husband says so much makes sense now and I agree so much in life makes sense.

So I know, my nearest and dearest all know but I still crave a diagnosis and I dont know how to explain why.......was anyone else like this??

Parents
  • If you feel you want the 'official' confirmation then that's all that matters. It's a very personal thing- some people feel that once they realise, that's enough, but others need the certainty of hearing it from a professional. For me, I chose to pursue assessment because I'd been terribly gaslit by doctors previously and I didn't trust my own judgement any more. I get my results in two weeks, and I already know the answer, but I know I'll feel better from hearing them say it.

• If you feel you want the 'official' confirmation then that's all that matters. It's a very personal thing- some people feel that once they realise, that's enough, but others need the certainty of hearing it from a professional. For me, I chose to pursue assessment because I'd been terribly gaslit by doctors previously and I didn't trust my own judgement any more. I get my results in two weeks, and I already know the answer, but I know I'll feel better from hearing them say it.

Children