Managing autism on daily basis - strategies

Since my later in life diagnosis of autism I’ve heard a lot of people telling me that the only way to manage my autism on a daily basis requires my being subject to ultra strict discipline in every area of my life by those deemed best qualified to do so - such people believe that such “tough love” is needed in order to be “cruel to be kind” and is deemed to be “for my own good” because it is deemed that I “do not understand that I am always wrong by default” and “must not attempt to form (nor especially express) any views nor opinions on any issues” because I’m “coming from the space of and looking through the prism of dysfunction” can only be rectified through changing to the “positive” mindset of total obedience without question to the opinions of others (who are, in thier views, always deemed to be “right” on every issue) - I’m wondering what people think of this, as people constantly tell me that I need to be constantly “kept firmly in check” “put and kept firmly in my place” and “knocked back a peg or ten” 

Parents
  • The manner in which you have displayed the underlying concept is obviously not at all favourable and as others have said quite reasonably, reads as abuse.  Personally, in my life, I don't like to abruptly discount all the "parts" due to the overall perception of the "whole" given.

Whilst others often scream at me "it's broken, you must throw it away"...I will look at it carefully and see what parts are worth saving.  I do this to an extreme degree that is almost certainly not healthy, but can readily acknowledge that.  It frustrates me greatly that the "screamers" cannot also acknowledge that their go-to "chuck it out now" is similarly employed to an unhealthy degree.

Personally, I am seeking balance and moderation in all things - and that includes my autistic reality.

So, to bring this back to the matter at hand that you have raised Irish, I would comment as follows......

Perhaps listen to Temple Grandin.  She is my type of odd-ball = bright, confident and wanting to help.  She suggests a certain dosage of most things is appropriate, and I agree.  The challenge, my friend, is working out how much of everything is the right amount FOR YOU !

• For the same reasons, I also cut all ties with the gay community over 15 years ago after experiencing similar prejudice and discrimination from (within) the LGBT community on the Dublin gay scene from my teenage years in the 1980’s in Ireland - this prejudice and discrimination from within the LGBT community was even greater when I first moved to Manchester 20 years ago and I simply became tired of it - I tried to raise the issues at the time, but was totally dismissed and ignored at every stage, long before my diagnosis was ever even a thing - I’ve long known that from people who should know better, prejudice and discrimination from within the gay community remains an unresolved issue to this day and therefore I no longer associate with nor support LGBT issues as a consequence, given what I’ve been hearing from other younger and older LGBT workmates at my current workplace, as they have experienced similar, even in “non-profit” LGBT spaces outside of the commercial gay scene 

• Sorry mate, I'm not sure I understand how your response relates to my post?  You start by saying "For the same reasons, I also cut all ties.......". What reasons?  Sorry if I'm being dumb.....would like to understand if you can help me?

• One important reason was the hypocrisy and non-acceptance that I have (consistently) experienced from the gay community due to my background and that I was raised an only child which made my being gay at that time less real and less valid in thier opinions - gays want acceptance and seek to dominate everything but they don’t accept someone like me long before I was diagnosed - I first came out as gay as a teenager in the 1980’s and had instant non-acceptance - I tried in many ways over many years and it was always the same, up to 15 years ago when I’d had enough, especially after seeing thier behaviour regarding children’s issues - prejudice and discrimination (within) the (hypocritical) LGBT “community” remains an (unresolved) issue and given what I’ve seen from them since, given also the warnings I’d previously had about this from older gay men in the 1980’s who experienced similar, I don’t see myself going back there anytime soon 

• One important reason was the hypocrisy and non-acceptance that I have (consistently) experienced from the gay community due to my background and that I was raised an only child which made my being gay at that time less real and less valid in thier opinions - gays want acceptance and seek to dominate everything but they don’t accept someone like me long before I was diagnosed - I first came out as gay as a teenager in the 1980’s and had instant non-acceptance - I tried in many ways over many years and it was always the same, up to 15 years ago when I’d had enough, especially after seeing thier behaviour regarding children’s issues - prejudice and discrimination (within) the (hypocritical) LGBT “community” remains an (unresolved) issue and given what I’ve seen from them since, given also the warnings I’d previously had about this from older gay men in the 1980’s who experienced similar, I don’t see myself going back there anytime soon 

Children
No Data