Managing autism on daily basis - strategies

Since my later in life diagnosis of autism I’ve heard a lot of people telling me that the only way to manage my autism on a daily basis requires my being subject to ultra strict discipline in every area of my life by those deemed best qualified to do so - such people believe that such “tough love” is needed in order to be “cruel to be kind” and is deemed to be “for my own good” because it is deemed that I “do not understand that I am always wrong by default” and “must not attempt to form (nor especially express) any views nor opinions on any issues” because I’m “coming from the space of and looking through the prism of dysfunction” can only be rectified through changing to the “positive” mindset of total obedience without question to the opinions of others (who are, in thier views, always deemed to be “right” on every issue) - I’m wondering what people think of this, as people constantly tell me that I need to be constantly “kept firmly in check” “put and kept firmly in my place” and “knocked back a peg or ten” 

Parents
  • Sounds like aload of rubbish of me, and adusive. I am 53 and I give myself more time and don't put myself under preassure. At the weekends I tend to have a day for myself, I may go out and do something, or nothing at all. You must do what you feel is best for you, not be dictated by others. We are all diffrent but do what best gets you through the day while dealing with the people and things around you.

• I’m 52 and although living in the U.K. 20 years, I’m from a traditional Irish Catholic religious/cultural background, having also worked 30 years (not by choice) in supermarket retailing, where I also get frequently told by some extended family members to “cop yourself on” where such people believe that I need to become more obedient, where they maintain that ultra-strict military-style discipline is deemed to be the only way to manage my autism on a daily basis, especially after my later in life diagnosis 

• I’m 52 and although living in the U.K. 20 years, I’m from a traditional Irish Catholic religious/cultural background, having also worked 30 years (not by choice) in supermarket retailing, where I also get frequently told by some extended family members to “cop yourself on” where such people believe that I need to become more obedient, where they maintain that ultra-strict military-style discipline is deemed to be the only way to manage my autism on a daily basis, especially after my later in life diagnosis 

Children
No Data