why need a diagnosis

I don't understand why my doctor is sending me for a diagnosis to confirm or not confirm ADHD and Autism when firstly she said i remember now that there is no medication for Autism and for ADHD there is medication for. I'm confused my brain isn't processing what i want to ask. Or god. It might be mixed up i know you will be able to understand what i'm trying to ask you. Why put us through all the stress anxiety frustration anger despair of having to wait on the waiting list for 2 years for a proper diagnosis just to be told you have it or haven't it. If you have it there's no medication for Autism and most probably i'm not going to be suitable for the ADHD medication. I did say this and my doctor said it's nice to know some of the things i have is because of the ADHD and Autism to stop me being so hard on myself. To me it's giving me false hope. My brain keeps telling me when i see the psychiatrist and they diagnoses me with it i will get medication then it will all be overed with for me. This isn't going to be true though is it. Then i go back to thinking i don't understand why i am being put through all this stress and anxiety for the next two years and not get anything at the end of it. Whose benefiting by it not me. 

Parents
  • Hey there,

I'm sorry that you feel like diagnosis wouldn't be worth the stress, it's true that there currently isn't medication for autism (something I believe is right as neuro divergence is not an illness).

Why be diagnosed? Well, I think the answer to that question differs between people, some people go through it and others don't, it's a personal decision. I think diagnosis is good for neuro diversity in general, the more people registered with a neuro difference, the more funding and research and answers there should be. I also understand that the label is important for some, as it gives power and confidence to a group who are often treated badly by others and provides belonging to those who traditionally don't belong.

You don't have to go through diagnosis if you don't want to, it's completely up to you. If your doctor thinks it might be helpful to you, I imagine they have reasons for their opinion but you can say no if you disagree.

I hope that it gets less stressful for you.

• I think diagnosis is good for neuro diversity in general, the more people registered with a neuro difference, the more funding and research and answers there should be. I also understand that the label is important for some, as it gives power and confidence to a group who are often treated badly by others and provides belonging to those who traditionally don't belong.

These, I think, are tremendously important points. Autism, and other factors, often leads us to intensely focus on ourselves; and so this wider picture you've described is important to bear in mind, and should be encouraged. My writing is too often clumsy but I hope the OP, you and others will understand what I mean.

• I think diagnosis is good for neuro diversity in general, the more people registered with a neuro difference, the more funding and research and answers there should be. I also understand that the label is important for some, as it gives power and confidence to a group who are often treated badly by others and provides belonging to those who traditionally don't belong.

These, I think, are tremendously important points. Autism, and other factors, often leads us to intensely focus on ourselves; and so this wider picture you've described is important to bear in mind, and should be encouraged. My writing is too often clumsy but I hope the OP, you and others will understand what I mean.

Children
No Data