How to start an Asperger’s group. Any advice?

Depending on how things go I’m either going to move soon or not. If not … well I already know there is nothing for high functioning autistic adults where I live. If I do move I’ll be in a new place and there is a good chance there will still be no social groups for high functioning autistic adults there either. Plus there will be no support network of family etc if I move.

so they say be the change you want to see. Can anyone advise me on the logistics of setting up a support / social group of high functioning autistic adults?

i imagine the big issues will be resources. Especially getting a venue and putting out PR. Has anyone done anything like this and could lend some pointers?

Parents
  • Kind of understand what you want but Asperger and high functioning gives me a red flag straight away, so that seems more of an issue than a venue. Needs to be more inclusive. 

• Respectfully no. I’m already in ‘a more inclusive group’ and it’s simply impossible for me to make meaningful connections with the others there.

• OK, I get that you want to find a group of like minded people and think it's great that you've recognised there is nothing out there and are prepared to set something up.  I'd start by defining if not a mission statement, the aim/objective of the group, social and support can mean two different things (I get that having a social network/friends can be supportive). 

I'd also think about how the group is going to be governed, is there membership, do you need terms of reference, how are you going to police the group and keep things respectful, what's the criteria for membership, are you going to let members decide what the activities etc. are, do you need a facilitator, will you need to charge or ask people to contribute to cover costs - all sorts of things.  Stressing me out just thinking about how to start organising it. 

In your reply to I Sperg you mention that the last group is inactive, can you find out why?  Did the organisers move away? was it more effort than it was worth or was there a lack of interest?  Could save you a lot of bother or inform your strategy for setting up a new group.  They might be able to put something round asking people to get in touch with you if they are interested in forming a new group?

Once I'd thought about all those things, I'd then be in a better position to think about venues and promoting the group. 

If I was looking to join a group, I'd want to have a clear idea of what to expect, I wouldn't just turn up to a venue or pub with people I've never met without knowing that.  I think I would also be put off as might others, if you badged it Asperger/high functioning, so you could be further narrowing your target audience from people who aren't comfortable with those terms but may meet your membership criteria.

• OK, I get that you want to find a group of like minded people and think it's great that you've recognised there is nothing out there and are prepared to set something up.  I'd start by defining if not a mission statement, the aim/objective of the group, social and support can mean two different things (I get that having a social network/friends can be supportive). 

I'd also think about how the group is going to be governed, is there membership, do you need terms of reference, how are you going to police the group and keep things respectful, what's the criteria for membership, are you going to let members decide what the activities etc. are, do you need a facilitator, will you need to charge or ask people to contribute to cover costs - all sorts of things.  Stressing me out just thinking about how to start organising it. 

In your reply to I Sperg you mention that the last group is inactive, can you find out why?  Did the organisers move away? was it more effort than it was worth or was there a lack of interest?  Could save you a lot of bother or inform your strategy for setting up a new group.  They might be able to put something round asking people to get in touch with you if they are interested in forming a new group?

Once I'd thought about all those things, I'd then be in a better position to think about venues and promoting the group. 

If I was looking to join a group, I'd want to have a clear idea of what to expect, I wouldn't just turn up to a venue or pub with people I've never met without knowing that.  I think I would also be put off as might others, if you badged it Asperger/high functioning, so you could be further narrowing your target audience from people who aren't comfortable with those terms but may meet your membership criteria.

Children
  • If it was successful eventually you’d wish to spin out a charitable trust. With a members and guests system. Written constitution etc. But that’s down the line.

in terms of activities I was thinking a vote with default option system. Organiser suggests a default option. Other individuals can write in any suggestion as a new option (subject to basic constraint like feasibility, legality etc). Online vote closes a week ahead of events.

Probably necessary at some point to add additional rules to stop it being the same thing each time (thus annoying those who don’t like that thing).

I think membership criteria would be self identifying as a person with an autistic spectrum condition of normal or above average intelligence. We don’t want to be like Mensa with IQ tests and we definitely don’t want to require people to have on paper diagnosis.

the organisers of the former Asperger’s group near me (they do describe themselves that way) are  uncontactable. Believe me I have tried. I’ve tried their Facebook group, the official email, I even telephoned one of the trustees and they never picked up. Tbh I’m surprised it’s still listed on the charity commissions website