Having a beer helps (but I know it’s not good)

hi all.
On my way to assessment (16 months and counting). One thing I’ve realised as I’ve reflected and made sense of the last 30/40 years (47yo) is my relationship with beer. I’ve always drank beer and often too much (no off switch) but I’ve now made sense of it. I promise I’m not making excuses for the beer drinking - but made sense to why I think I’ve always gone to it to help me.

as soon as I have the first drink I feel everything inside change. In essence it’s all about the noise/senses that start to calm down. And I’ve always drank in social occasions - and this takes the anxiety away that’s been building up all day. 

I think what I wanted to ask is… is this familiar to anyone? And is there another option that a drink currently provides? 

Parents
  • Hello Stimpson, I'm Number.

I realised I was autistic whilst utterly drunk.  I don't mean one night I suddenly etc.

No, I realised that there was something "profoundly wrong with me" when I was 45.

I already had a long standing abusive relationship with alcohol at that time, but had been extremely high functioning with it.

At 45 yrs, I "burnt out" - but had no idea I was Autistic - and no idea what a "burnout" was.

I was a frigging mess.........and it just got worse and worse.

I was identified as autistic about 8 months ago.  At that time, I had become a raging alcoholic - albeit no one knew that (except me)

....and for the avoidance of doubt - when I say I could drink, I mean dangerously !

After 2 months of actually really, finally believing and accepting I was autistic, I simply stopped drinking.

That was 6 months ago.  I have not had a drink since.

So..............the reason I tell you the above, is to give you the context for my answer to your original question.......

I replaced alcohol (very successfully, and without ANY pain) by simply accepting that I was autistic.  Things make sense now, there is no need to drink.

For me, my fellow traveller, it was as simple as that.

I wish you all the best on your onward journey.

Kind regards

• Hello Stimpson, I'm Number.

I realised I was autistic whilst utterly drunk.  I don't mean one night I suddenly etc.

No, I realised that there was something "profoundly wrong with me" when I was 45.

I already had a long standing abusive relationship with alcohol at that time, but had been extremely high functioning with it.

At 45 yrs, I "burnt out" - but had no idea I was Autistic - and no idea what a "burnout" was.

I was a frigging mess.........and it just got worse and worse.

I was identified as autistic about 8 months ago.  At that time, I had become a raging alcoholic - albeit no one knew that (except me)

....and for the avoidance of doubt - when I say I could drink, I mean dangerously !

After 2 months of actually really, finally believing and accepting I was autistic, I simply stopped drinking.

That was 6 months ago.  I have not had a drink since.

So..............the reason I tell you the above, is to give you the context for my answer to your original question.......

I replaced alcohol (very successfully, and without ANY pain) by simply accepting that I was autistic.  Things make sense now, there is no need to drink.

For me, my fellow traveller, it was as simple as that.

I wish you all the best on your onward journey.

Kind regards

Children
No Data