Having a beer helps (but I know it’s not good)

hi all.
On my way to assessment (16 months and counting). One thing I’ve realised as I’ve reflected and made sense of the last 30/40 years (47yo) is my relationship with beer. I’ve always drank beer and often too much (no off switch) but I’ve now made sense of it. I promise I’m not making excuses for the beer drinking - but made sense to why I think I’ve always gone to it to help me.

as soon as I have the first drink I feel everything inside change. In essence it’s all about the noise/senses that start to calm down. And I’ve always drank in social occasions - and this takes the anxiety away that’s been building up all day. 

I think what I wanted to ask is… is this familiar to anyone? And is there another option that a drink currently provides? 

Parents
  • Yes, I definitely use alcohol as a social crutch, but I drink wine - I prefer it and I have a food intolerance of brewer's (and baker's) yeast. Cask conditioned ale is totally out, but I will have the occasional bottle of lager in hot weather.

I do not see it as a particular problem, more a useful coping mechanism.

• Yes, I definitely use alcohol as a social crutch, but I drink wine - I prefer it and I have a food intolerance of brewer's (and baker's) yeast. Cask conditioned ale is totally out, but I will have the occasional bottle of lager in hot weather.

I do not see it as a particular problem, more a useful coping mechanism.

Children
No Data