Cinema, Theatre and Public Transport.

Went to the cinema last night, I’m the easy one to spot, I’m the one who sits turned away from the person next to them, I sort of sit on one side of me, can manage my wife sitting on my other side. Having a stranger sitting next to me for three hours has left me drained. I haven’t been able to talk yet, We came home last night, my wife went to bed, I had to sit on my own with my arms wrapped around the sides of my head. I feel like my ‘ spidey senses’ are in overdrive.

Its always been the same, trains and theatre cause the same affect. The underground is worse, I struggle to understand how having people near to me is so draining. It’s like they are radioactive and pulling the energy out of me, I know I’m going to have to mask heavily this morning so not to cause an argument with my wife and make it all about me. Is this something that anyone else relates to, or is it just weird me?

Parents
  • It's not just you. If I ever have to sit next to a stranger I'm leaning over to one side as far away from them as possible. If I find myself sandwiched between strangers it is a complete nightmare, one which I'll do anything to avoid. Last time I was on a plane I ended up sandwiched between strangers for 8 hours Anguished

I haven't been to the cinema for years but I used to try and go at quiet times. If you wait until the film has been showing for a while and most people have already seen it then it's more likely there'll be plenty of empty seats.

Public transport is the same. When I used to travel with my mum it was ok. I would get the window seat and she would sit next to me 'shielding' me from other people. When I have to travel alone that's not possible. I try putting my bag on the adjoining seat but if it's reserved seats that won't work. 

• It's not just you. If I ever have to sit next to a stranger I'm leaning over to one side as far away from them as possible. If I find myself sandwiched between strangers it is a complete nightmare, one which I'll do anything to avoid. Last time I was on a plane I ended up sandwiched between strangers for 8 hours Anguished

I haven't been to the cinema for years but I used to try and go at quiet times. If you wait until the film has been showing for a while and most people have already seen it then it's more likely there'll be plenty of empty seats.

Public transport is the same. When I used to travel with my mum it was ok. I would get the window seat and she would sit next to me 'shielding' me from other people. When I have to travel alone that's not possible. I try putting my bag on the adjoining seat but if it's reserved seats that won't work. 

Children
  • Thanks for your reply, I just realised what has changed, an old art deco cinema has recently reopened near to us, it’s just had a massive restoration. We have started using at as it’s really nice, problem is it’s always full, my wife books tickets months ahead. The same film will only be shown twice. Before we always went to the big multi screen cinema, I never bothered going until a film had been released for ages, normally pretty well had the place  to ourselves. I wonder what it is with us, I can actually feel the presence of someone near to me. By the end of the film I’m like a hedgehog in a ball. Our multi screen has started doing screenings once a month for autistic people, I would just feel a bit odd as it mainly attracts autistic children. Public transport I tend to not use if I can help it.