Are there things you just 'don't get' in life? (as in understand the rules of)

Thanks to  in another thread (root beer) I've been thinking of the many things I've just 'not got' and done wrong.

Usually the clue that I'm not 'getting it' is the look of wonder on the faces of other people.

I'm suspecting now this may be autism related.

There are countless examples during my life but here a few.

McDonalds: I don't really understand McDonalds and I don't spend time in them without another person.

My mum used to like them so I'd take her there for lunch sometimes.

One of the 1st times she asked me to collect a menu for her and some cutlery.

I couldn't understand why these weren't on the table.

So, I went to the counter and asked for these things.

After this initial trauma, I then had the trauma of trying to understand what you are supposed to eat off of and with.

Doh.

McDonalds is a particular thing with me I think.

I was with my autistic friend on our way back from visiting his mother and we went to a McD.

He asked me to get him a 'root beer'.

So, I asked for such at the counter only to be asked what that is.

I said 'I don't know' so no root beer was presented to my friend.

Doh.

Another prime example is going to a spa and swimming baths in a hotel.

I'm not a swimmer or a spa goer.

So, the 1st thing I did was put my make-up on before going there.

Then, I couldn't understand how the lockers worked and had to get assistance.

Then, I eventually found the toilets but couldn't find my way back to the swimming pool so I walked through reception soaking wet in my swimming costume.

I was also in a church once when a service began and loads of people sat around me.

I had gone in there because I was in a strange city and cold and was using the church as a refuge.

I thought I could just sit there whilst the service took place.

I hadn't anticipated communion and although I'm not a Catholic or a church goer, and although I didn't understand what I was doing, I felt obliged to follow everyone up and take communion. 

There are so many examples I won't continue.

Is it just me or are there other people here who just don't 'get it?'.

• The turn on / turn off notifications elongated button is a toggle switch.

If you click on it when it say "turn off notifications" - it will turn them on, and vise verser.  If you don't want to see notifications, this button should always read "turn on notifications."

I don't know if that helps?

• I must have been on this board for around a fortnight now and I *still* can't work out how to completely stop notifications (like this: (2), for example) appearing at the top of the page. I can press the 'Turn off notifications' button, but even that fails to stop them & it apprently switches back on again by itself. It's driving me sane. I get stressed by the panic I feel about possibly failing to respond to replies in threads - especially if someone's waiting on a respinse from me - or by failing to even find the relevant threads. I must be doing something wrong; either that or it's a fault. Hellllppppp...

PS I've tried all the options on the proper Notifications page in the Profile section.

• They can't even sort out the poo problem. Even though there are fines, we still tread in or cycle on dog poo, which is vile and infuriates my husband so I get subjected to a tirade about how all dogs should be shot which upsets me as I love dogs. He is wrong because it is only a few dog owners who leave the poo and those are the problem, not the vast majority of decent dog owners and not the innocent dogs themselves.

A dog walker let her dog do a huge poo on my Dad's drive and he was so cross, but I was worried about him because he is old and lives alone and is vulnerable. The sort of person who does that might the sort of person to come and throw a brick through his window.

• I’ve never owned a dog and don’t want one (maybe a cat some day) but I’m now wondering where they’re supposed to wee. Isn’t a random outside place all that they have due to instinct? It is yucky I agree but I’m not sure what’s to be done 

• I will never get why it's deemed acceptable for dog walkers to allow their dogs to urinate against people's garden hedges. It causes a lot of damage to the plants and ruins them, it should be illegal, it's damage to property. They even allow their dogs onto people's unfenced lawns to urinate, how is this 'okay'! Even in high streets - which although I rarely walk through - there can be so many dogs urinating up against everything in the street, it's just awful and totally bizarre to me.

• I dont understand how people can talk at great length about nothing in particular. 

In my observation at a distance, I've often stood in both amazement and with envy.

• Madness, sheer madness!

I don't get it either!

• I find it depends on where you live.

Exactly!  You just don't do that in a city environment!  In fact, neither do you make eye contact --- not in NYC --- unless you are ready to show acknowledgement. I still struggle to shake off this deeply ingrained "rule" here in my town. I unintentionally come across as being unfriendly and owing to my size as unapproachable. I've tried hard to overcome these restrictions, but when I speak say within a collective group, I'm tuned into a change of attitude towards me. I don't think I imagine it, having experienced this awkwardness many times in the past. My own stilted conversation doesn't help. 

• If someone says a friendly 'Hello' to me (usually older people), then I will make a point of saying it back to them. I am seldom the one to initiate it.

• I don't get how to know whether when out walking, when you are supposed to say hi to people or not.

I find it depends on where you live.

My home town of Portsmouth isn't very friendly and I was always shocked if someone spoke to me.

If I spoke to a random person they might look at me as though I was assaulting them.

London is horrid if you ask people for directions.  If they live there they tend to ignore you and just walk past (in my experience).

I have found that the northern counties in England are friendlier.

And, yes, older people are definitely more likely to be friendly than younger people.

My shyness (autismness?) has always made me very 'shy' with strangers though and I have to summon up the courage to say 'hello'.

• The Encore.  They always come back - rapturous or otherwise.  Why is it normal to pretend otherwise?  How long does a "reasonable" performer expect a "normal" audience member to bang their hands together loudly in order to show the "appropriate" level of "reasoned" appreciation.  Madness, sheer madness !

• The thing is, maybe those people think they are talking about something in particular. Wink 

I know what you mean though, as I sometimes find myself thinking the same. Relaxed

• I dont understand how people can talk at great length about nothing in particular. 

• Thank you for expressing exactly what I couldn't, Debbie. Slight smile I find the photograph very confusing, even though I actually know that it's not at all meant to be an illusion or a mirage or something. For me, it might as well be a Trompe-l'œil painting because, though I like those things, I still struggle to appreciate that the illusion isn't solid and actually real.

• There are a few reasons why I think that photo is unusual.

You have several lines that could be horizons.

There is a perfect reflection in the water and so you are not sure at first what you are seeing.

The football pitch looks to be the same level as the water and very close to the water.

These things, and possibly others, make it a bit unsettling I think.

• There are a number of things for me , here are my current top two, 

when you’re in conversation with a person who say” “No offence, but” and then continues to say something that is often offensive. How do I know if I will be offended by what is said before they have said something it. 
    the second is the game that of Rugby.

• I don't get how to know whether when out walking, when you are supposed to say hi to people or not.

1. People under 20, never. 

2. If the road or path isn't that busy, yes. If it is, no (there's a walk at my girlfriend where you say hi one area, go down an alley onto a main Rd, and it's forbidden then (hilarious tbh).

3. Older people you say hi to much more frequently.

Of course, I spoke to gf, she said it depended on the person (and presumably on you, interesting I never think about my own preferences)

Cafes and coffee shops, and small restaurants, it's not consistent whether you pay first, ask for the bill and pay after. What if you *** it up? I mean it doesn't matter, but to my mind it does.

Small talk obviously

I think there's a whole lot of stuff I don't intuitively understand which means I avoid a lot.

That's very funny and ironic. :-)

• I've been in an "inappropriate loop" all my life and have developed many masks to hide it.

• Yeah sorry i mean intentionally rule breakers.