Contradictions within Autism

As Melanie Sykes said, she was a "walking contradiction" and I feel the same. Here are my examples. I'd love to know if you are the same or have any more to add!

1. Feel less need to follow social conventions but then am a heavy people pleaser.
2. Feel I have my own sense of identity but get easily swept along by others.
3. Not sure how I feel a lot of the time but feel very strongly when I do know. Feel strongly other people's emotions or completely miss them.
4. Feel like I can't read people in the moment but then pick up on micro expressions or feelings other people don't seem to notice.
5. Love being on my own but have a strong need for people interaction which is often a bit difficult and tiring.
6. Naturally introverted but love the energy when with the right people.
7. Get mixed up with left or right but have a good sense of direction.
8. A strong need to be on time but always running late.
9, Approachable as an ear for problems but seldom have my own listened to.
10. Communicate clearly in my job but can't explain problems to health professionals very well.
11. Am a natural organiser but actually not very organised.
12. A strong need for a tidy house but it's always a mess (to me).
13. An effort to have less stuff but feel its always cluttered.
14. A desire for a minimalist house but think they're boring.
15. Often really want to get going a lot of the time but don't know how..
16. Don't like loud noises but love loud music.
17. Can get up early of my own accord but not when my alarm goes off.
18. Hyper focus or inertia.
19. Like to be spontaneuous but don't like a change to a plan and need to know ahead what's happening.
20. Find sameness boring but don't like change.
21. Need routine to function but have difficulty forming them unless it's imposed.

22. Good long term memory but poor short term memory. 
23. Can see both sides of the discussion so have conflicting opinions.

Parents
  • This is a great list. I see myself in a lot of them.

One that might be less of a contradiction than you think is "hyperfocus or inertia."  There are two definitions of inertia:  

1. A tendency to do nothing and remain unchanged. 
    2. The way an object continues in it's state of either resting or moving unless it is changed by an external force.

So in a way, hyper focus is a kind of inertia in that it seeks to keep going. And then there's the inertia of failing to get up from the sofa.  But the difficulty lies in the transition from one state to the next.

1. Feel less need to follow social conventions but then am a heavy people pleaser. I have no need 
    2. Feel I have my own sense of identity but get easily swept along by others. Only after critical analysis
    3. Not sure how I feel a lot of the time but feel very strongly when I do know. Feel strongly other people's emotions or completely miss them. Empathy and appropriate reaction evade me
    4. Feel like I can't read people in the moment but then pick up on micro expressions or feelings other people don't seem to notice. Broadcasting and receiving signals is jumbled or not at all
    5. Love being on my own but have a strong need for people interaction which is often a bit difficult and tiring. I feel this too but adopted distancing myself owing many negative outcomes
    6. Naturally introverted but love the energy when with the right people. Yes, yes, yes
    7. Get mixed up with left or right but have a good sense of direction  Not a problem for me
    8. A strong need to be on time but always running late. I am strong on punctuality and expect it in others
    9. Approachable as an ear for problems but seldom have my own listened to. I often don't feel heard in real life but not here. I agree which is why I'm more a listener
    10. Communicate clearly in my job but can't explain problems to health professionals very well. I can express myself only on stuff I know. 
    11. Am a natural organiser but actually not very organised. I love organising but quickly get bored with it.
    12. A strong need for a tidy house but it's always a mess (to me). Not Applicable
    13. An effort to have less stuff but feel it's always cluttered. Clutter is my middle name. I'm a DIYer. I see an item as a potential materiel for another use.
    14. A desire for a minimalist house but think they're boring. Not applicable
    15. Often really want to get going a lot of the time but don't know how. I ned to be inspired in some way
    16. Don't like loud noises but love loud music. Me three!
    17. Can get up early of my own accord but not when my alarm goes off. I have an internal clock that works fine
    18. Hyper focus or inertia. Yes!
    19. Like to be spontaneous but don't like a change to a plan and need to know ahead what's happening. No spontaneity but yes to likely outcome 
    20. Find sameness boring but don't like change. I'm the opposite
    21. Need routine to function but have difficulty forming them unless it's imposed. I perform when needed
    22. Good long term memory but poor short term memory. Unless it's important to me, yes. Yes again
    23. Can see both sides of the discussion so have conflicting opinions. rarely
    1. Feel less need to follow social conventions but then am a heavy people pleaser. I have no need 
    2. Feel I have my own sense of identity but get easily swept along by others. Only after critical analysis
    3. Not sure how I feel a lot of the time but feel very strongly when I do know. Feel strongly other people's emotions or completely miss them. Empathy and appropriate reaction evade me
    4. Feel like I can't read people in the moment but then pick up on micro expressions or feelings other people don't seem to notice. Broadcasting and receiving signals is jumbled or not at all
    5. Love being on my own but have a strong need for people interaction which is often a bit difficult and tiring. I feel this too but adopted distancing myself owing many negative outcomes
    6. Naturally introverted but love the energy when with the right people. Yes, yes, yes
    7. Get mixed up with left or right but have a good sense of direction  Not a problem for me
    8. A strong need to be on time but always running late. I am strong on punctuality and expect it in others
    9. Approachable as an ear for problems but seldom have my own listened to. I often don't feel heard in real life but not here. I agree which is why I'm more a listener
    10. Communicate clearly in my job but can't explain problems to health professionals very well. I can express myself only on stuff I know. 
    11. Am a natural organiser but actually not very organised. I love organising but quickly get bored with it.
    12. A strong need for a tidy house but it's always a mess (to me). Not Applicable
    13. An effort to have less stuff but feel it's always cluttered. Clutter is my middle name. I'm a DIYer. I see an item as a potential materiel for another use.
    14. A desire for a minimalist house but think they're boring. Not applicable
    15. Often really want to get going a lot of the time but don't know how. I ned to be inspired in some way
    16. Don't like loud noises but love loud music. Me three!
    17. Can get up early of my own accord but not when my alarm goes off. I have an internal clock that works fine
    18. Hyper focus or inertia. Yes!
    19. Like to be spontaneous but don't like a change to a plan and need to know ahead what's happening. No spontaneity but yes to likely outcome 
    20. Find sameness boring but don't like change. I'm the opposite
    21. Need routine to function but have difficulty forming them unless it's imposed. I perform when needed
    22. Good long term memory but poor short term memory. Unless it's important to me, yes. Yes again
    23. Can see both sides of the discussion so have conflicting opinions. rarely
Children
No Data