Hello!

Hello all,

I hope I am in the right place. I have just been partially diagnosed ASD  Asperger syndrome, waiting for a full assessment. 
the NHS is in disarray and I may have to wait up to 3 years. 
is it worth going private?

i am not sure I can wait that long. My scores are 100% and my pre-assessment therapist has advised me to stop imitating or I will have a breakdown. 
but this is a shock to everyone, as all my filters are now gone. My son is 26 and is very opinionated… finally causing another burn out. Argued with my wife for 3 hours after even though she understands me well and has been a great support throughout the years. 
but I feel awful and thought terrible things last night…. That my life is not worth it after 50 years of masking…. I am completely exhausted… I am looking for help, support and advice…. I am one of the lost generation!! 

i also have years of masking experience if it helps…. 

Parents
  • Welcome - and congratulations on finding this place at a good time for you ! (albeit - goes without saying, would have been more helpful sooner!!)

May I suggest that you use the search above to find old threads about your current feelings as a 50+ in the "WTAF" realms of realisation about yourself.  Also, for what it is worth, please also remember that your wife will similarly be in a "WTAF" realm of her own at this news!  I think that, in many respects, it is harder for our nearest-and-dearest to cope with the news when (like you report) you are an accomplished masker.  You can see inside your own head now and be confident that you are in the WTAF realm for real......whereas your wife is probably more akin to WTAF do I even know my husband anymore / has he just gone mad / what am I supposed to do with news for myself?!  Understandable.

Please don't do anything too dramatic at this stage of your journey !  When everyone is feeling the WTAF vibe, I think it is arguably fair to say that this is NOT the best time to be taking too much drastic action.  Read lots.  Walk lots.  Stay calm. Stay in this place and speak with us all.......we do know and do understand.

• Welcome - and congratulations on finding this place at a good time for you ! (albeit - goes without saying, would have been more helpful sooner!!)

May I suggest that you use the search above to find old threads about your current feelings as a 50+ in the "WTAF" realms of realisation about yourself.  Also, for what it is worth, please also remember that your wife will similarly be in a "WTAF" realm of her own at this news!  I think that, in many respects, it is harder for our nearest-and-dearest to cope with the news when (like you report) you are an accomplished masker.  You can see inside your own head now and be confident that you are in the WTAF realm for real......whereas your wife is probably more akin to WTAF do I even know my husband anymore / has he just gone mad / what am I supposed to do with news for myself?!  Understandable.

Please don't do anything too dramatic at this stage of your journey !  When everyone is feeling the WTAF vibe, I think it is arguably fair to say that this is NOT the best time to be taking too much drastic action.  Read lots.  Walk lots.  Stay calm. Stay in this place and speak with us all.......we do know and do understand.

Children