Is non- recoverable ASD burnout a real thing/risk

Hi,

50’s diagnosis in the acceptance phase. 

I’ve been reading about ASD burnout where it can be so bad it ends in selective mutism. I’m a relatively successful businessman and scared of this, my family would suffer as all the information is literally inside my head. I could/am put/putting systems in place (and currently in the process of this).

The downside of my ASD is I’m also incredibly high functioning and I’m not convinced anyone else would have the capacity to take over and cope even with systems in place. 

This is the scary part - I know I’m burning out and maybe have a few years left (weird I know this) before I crash and burn and will need to retire/part retire. 

How real is the risk of non returnable ASD burnout? The thought of hitting that at retirement (more like ASD enforced retirement) secretly fills me with joy and sadness. The joys would be the peace I’ve never had, the downside is not caring about my loved ones and significant others and I know I’d be selfish to protect myself - it actually brings me to tears when I think about this. us it a real risk or just non aspies research shite? Tia x

Parents
  • I had a massive burnout in 2020, and have only just recovered. In late 2019 i self discovered my ASD. Went to my GP who refered me for assment (still waiting!). That was February, then Covid happened. In April my dad died of Covid leaving me to do all the arangements and deal with the care needs of my mum. Thankfully I was on furlough otherwise I probably would have never come back. It all just totally broke me, too much change and too much responsibility, I can just about look after myself. I can remember around October 2020 I want back to work and had a as$h0le moan at me in a car park for parking too close and I totally lost it once out of sight. I felt the whole world was just being nasty to me, nobody cared. Only my wife was there for me , but even they we had big money problems. It was a very slow progress but an ease back into work in 2021 helped alot. Earlier this year I was made redundant. Got a job straight away but hated it and found the strength to quit after 8 weeks. That was a big thing for me and did my confidence a massive boost. 

I think if I had been working at the time I would have not come back. However I also have something massive driving me that tell me how I must be 'normal'. Theat just wont quit. I lost my mum in November and that was a massive release becuase I was nolonger responsable for anybody but me. I was am now back to where I was in 2019 except I am stronger. I am also working towards semi retirement, it is good to have a target and i can't wait.

• I had a massive burnout in 2020, and have only just recovered. In late 2019 i self discovered my ASD. Went to my GP who refered me for assment (still waiting!). That was February, then Covid happened. In April my dad died of Covid leaving me to do all the arangements and deal with the care needs of my mum. Thankfully I was on furlough otherwise I probably would have never come back. It all just totally broke me, too much change and too much responsibility, I can just about look after myself. I can remember around October 2020 I want back to work and had a as$h0le moan at me in a car park for parking too close and I totally lost it once out of sight. I felt the whole world was just being nasty to me, nobody cared. Only my wife was there for me , but even they we had big money problems. It was a very slow progress but an ease back into work in 2021 helped alot. Earlier this year I was made redundant. Got a job straight away but hated it and found the strength to quit after 8 weeks. That was a big thing for me and did my confidence a massive boost. 

I think if I had been working at the time I would have not come back. However I also have something massive driving me that tell me how I must be 'normal'. Theat just wont quit. I lost my mum in November and that was a massive release becuase I was nolonger responsable for anybody but me. I was am now back to where I was in 2019 except I am stronger. I am also working towards semi retirement, it is good to have a target and i can't wait.

Children