Is non- recoverable ASD burnout a real thing/risk

Hi,

50’s diagnosis in the acceptance phase. 

I’ve been reading about ASD burnout where it can be so bad it ends in selective mutism. I’m a relatively successful businessman and scared of this, my family would suffer as all the information is literally inside my head. I could/am put/putting systems in place (and currently in the process of this).

The downside of my ASD is I’m also incredibly high functioning and I’m not convinced anyone else would have the capacity to take over and cope even with systems in place. 

This is the scary part - I know I’m burning out and maybe have a few years left (weird I know this) before I crash and burn and will need to retire/part retire. 

How real is the risk of non returnable ASD burnout? The thought of hitting that at retirement (more like ASD enforced retirement) secretly fills me with joy and sadness. The joys would be the peace I’ve never had, the downside is not caring about my loved ones and significant others and I know I’d be selfish to protect myself - it actually brings me to tears when I think about this. us it a real risk or just non aspies research shite? Tia x

Parents
  • Don't keep going until you go B O O M !

You are in a good position because you know what you are and always have been.  I did not, so tried to "power through.". Bad mistake...HUGE.

And to answer your question.....Catastrophic burnout IS defo a real thing.

Wishing you a peaceful and reflective day.

x

PS....And for the avoidance of doubt, my reference to "burnout" above should have been more accurately described as "autistic burnout.". Thanks to Debbie for the prompt on that.  It's real.  I lost at least half a decade and many, many zeros as a result!

• Don't keep going until you go B O O M !

You are in a good position because you know what you are and always have been.  I did not, so tried to "power through.". Bad mistake...HUGE.

And to answer your question.....Catastrophic burnout IS defo a real thing.

Wishing you a peaceful and reflective day.

x

PS....And for the avoidance of doubt, my reference to "burnout" above should have been more accurately described as "autistic burnout.". Thanks to Debbie for the prompt on that.  It's real.  I lost at least half a decade and many, many zeros as a result!

Children
No Data