Autistic slang

does anyone else like using the word normie rather then NF when referring to people that do not have ASD i dont know why I but it just roles off my tongue better than NF i mean no offence by it or anything i just prefer using it

Parents
  • Language is interesting, isn't it? We enjoy certain words for reasons that are sometimes inexplicable - they just sound nice or are infused with our humour. And yet, they can be so loaded with connotation they are like a weapon too. They are the war ground in which identity is contested and forged. Language is power and endlessly fascinating.

You raise an important issue here. What terms should we use? Are the ones we find funny or pleasing doing some one else down or just expressing something positive about our own identities?

'Aspie' is the hard one for me. Cute word. Not pejorative. Kind of subverting and claiming the ground back from those who would stigmatise us. BUT it's an abbreviation of Asperger's which a) excludes others with "non-Aspie" forms of autism, who actually are also just like me and b) we are learning what a nasty history Herr Asperger had in the Third Reich. Hmmm...

"Autie" is not as cute phonoaesthically - and I am a synesthete after all - but kind of adjusting to it as a better denoter of identity.

As for my lovely neurotypical friends, I would hope they wouldn't mind "normie" or NT; we are only trying to say they are majority neurotype, but I'd have to ask how they felt about that. I think I will, now you've raised this.

• to be honest it came out the other day when i met some new people and was explaining to them what ads is I feel like there understood it but im afraid I explained that its kind of a non PC word but its not a bad thing unless used in a certain way

• Tone - paralinguistics - count for a lot. We aren't very good at that. "Normies" are and read a lot from it. Ours doesn't come out the same way. It takes us more words to express the same thing. I hope they got your meaning.

• I think so thank god

Reply Children
No Data