Help

Hello all I really need some help.

My mum doesn't accept autism as a disability and she really upset me with her saying this as well as saying that me and my partner are dolepushers just living on handouts and are lazy, refusing to work.

I want her to realise that she really upset me but I still want to have contact with her.

How do I get her to understand how difficult it is for us not being in work.

I'm really struggling to accept her actions but I know that she is entitled to her own opinion.

Please help me

Gemma 

Parents
  • Hi.

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with regard to your mum understanding.

With regard to autism being a disability I have read that it is. Link below from this site:

www.autism.org.uk/.../what-is-autism

Quote:

'Autism is a lifelong developmental disability'

but have also read that it is only classed as a disability if it has a great impact on day to day living tasks but that may be for benefits purposes.

www.mencap.org.uk/.../autism-and-aspergers-syndrome

Quote from Mencap

'Autism is not a learning disability, but around half of autistic people may also have a learning disability.'

One site talks about development but the other about learning so there is a distinction.

I'd appreciate any input and clarification on this from forum members.

I hope things work out for you and your mum.

• So autism is legally a disability in teens of bsing a "protected characteristic," which means people cannot discriminate against you because of it and employers etc have to make reasonable adjustments. 

It does affect everyday activities (in my case stuff like making friends and making doctors appointments.)

In terms of getting extra benefits, you have to prove to an assessor how much your disability limits you.

In terms of persuading other people's prejudice, it very much depends on the person.  Some might respond to logic and facts, while others have preformed opinions that are unlikely to change.

• So autism is legally a disability in teens of bsing a "protected characteristic," which means people cannot discriminate against you because of it and employers etc have to make reasonable adjustments. 

It does affect everyday activities (in my case stuff like making friends and making doctors appointments.)

In terms of getting extra benefits, you have to prove to an assessor how much your disability limits you.

In terms of persuading other people's prejudice, it very much depends on the person.  Some might respond to logic and facts, while others have preformed opinions that are unlikely to change.

Children