HI EVERYONE!

I've recently been diagnosed with high functioning autism. I am a retired electro/mechanical technician who has served in a number of industries here and abroad as well as the military, so my experiences are wide but always were in connection with positions where operational tasks could be performed alone.  I am looking for an adult group I can continue to try to assimilate into as fitting into a group has been a trial for me since childhood. Added to my "oddness" is my American accent having been raised in New York City. This instantly has put me on a weak footing to be warmly welcomed and engaged with, complemented by my own "standoffishness" that has become my deeply ingrained defence mechanism here in Norfolk/Suffolk, a very conservative region where I have lived since 1971. Over this time, I have experienced repetitive failed attempts to engage with social groups. This includes negative outcomes with the U3A, Odd Fellows, and Lions where one "gentleman" who originated in Vietnam, stated he has had great pleasure in killing Americans during that conflict. So, --- my question to you is am I destined to die a misfit, or do you think there may be some salvation for me through a suitable adult group I can feel at ease with supported by the knowledge they are just as odd as I am or, am I to continue on this lonely path of social rejection. 

Parents
  • I'm so sorry to read this. That's a horrible thing to go through, sadly some people can be really horrible at times. It's understandable that you're feeling like this now. In the past I've been mistreated and had cruel things said to me and about me - it's not nice and very upsetting but defos don't think all people are like that because they aren't, the nice outweigh the mean and hopefully in future you'll meet people who will treat you kindly and respectfully :) 

Welcome to the community by the way - this community is lovely and I hope you'll feel welcomed and happy here.

• I'm so sorry to read this. That's a horrible thing to go through, sadly some people can be really horrible at times. It's understandable that you're feeling like this now. In the past I've been mistreated and had cruel things said to me and about me - it's not nice and very upsetting but defos don't think all people are like that because they aren't, the nice outweigh the mean and hopefully in future you'll meet people who will treat you kindly and respectfully :) 

Welcome to the community by the way - this community is lovely and I hope you'll feel welcomed and happy here.

Children
  • Many thanks for your welcoming. I have spent a lifetime being socially snubbed at work and where I live.  I am use to it now.  There are always rare exceptions who are the people that keep me going. I am fortunate to have an odd next-door neighbour who is a single retired plumber, who happens to be a Gogh. When I was self-employed, he worked with me.  I am retired now, and both my wife and I engage with him daily.  He has become a good friend, but sadly is considering moving on.  If he does move on it will be our loss as he is the ONLY long-term friendship I ever had --- we understand each other without judgements.