What defines your autism?

There's another question that sprang to mind this morning.

What defines your autism?

I have noticed that most of the posts on the forum appear to be about our vulnerabilities.

So, is our autism defined by our vulnerabilities?

Certainly the sensitivities and communication difficulties can make us more vulnerable to stress and isolation.

Any positives anyone?

I'm still thinking about that one.

There is a lot of food for thought once we have obtained recognition either personally or professionally.

• My socks, lol. Who doesn't want to go to bed at night obsessively designing the perfect pair of sock? Ok. Nobody but me, Lol.

Sometimes autism is fun! Very individual fun, but big time fun!

Socks were sorted for me about thirty years ago when a company I worked at went bust.

I calculated how many of their logo'd black promotional socks I would need until I died, and have guarded my stash jealously, and used them slowly, ever since. 

I love these 2 comments.

Thank you for both bringing a smile this morning.

, maybe knit some colourful socks for to add some colour and variety to his collection?

Maybe we need a socks thread?

• Oooh I have another one, I'm automatically liberated from doing anything "popular" because that's seen as "normal"* and I already fail at being "normal" apparently. XD So I just accepted that I'm never gonna be allist and I'm free to sing songs 40 years older than me as I go shopping ect. I don't feel pressured into following mainstream sports just to fit in so I spend my free time just doing whatever I want pretty much. :)

*Such a dreadful word, you'll note I used quotation marks for a reason.

• Socks were sorted for me about thirty years ago when a company I worked at went bust.

I calculated how many of their logo'd black promotional socks I would need until I died, and have guarded my stash jealously, and used them slowly, ever since. 

• My socks, lol. Who doesn't want to go to bed at night obsessively designing the perfect pair of sock? Ok. Nobody but me, Lol.

Sometimes autism is fun! Very individual fun, but big time fun!

This is precisely what I love about this forum.  Everyone is so open that it's interesting for me to learn how everyone experiences the world so uniquely. How would you describe your understanding of your emotions and those of others through the lens of alexithymia?

• These mostly apply to me. Part of me wants to say that originality doesn't, but I think that's my low self-esteem talking and that I do think for myself. I'm not positive at all (prone to depression and catastrophisation), but I do have resilience to keep going despite setbacks.

• I would love to experience this, but sadly for me, alexithymia means I struggle to get in touch with my feelings, especially positive ones. I'm pleased for you, though.

• Vulnerabilities, inabilities and defences (masking's) I would say defines my autism.

• Sam likes to draw,

Awww that's adorable!  i hope to meet someone for the last time where we grow old together. Who knows....

• That last line sums it up for some people, hereabouts, I bet...

There are huge legal problems apparently to overcome, with the taxidermy but it starts with finding someone who's willing to do me when the time comes!

Obviously I'll have the giblets and unused bits given a christian burial (On my own land, recorded on the deeds for maximum legal "pain in the assery" when the time comes to build on it....)

I've found me a flexiible minded funeral director, I just don't know how to pre arrange and pay for the full ghanian funeral procession that I want

Not that I've any particular indicator of imminent mortality nor am I particularly morbid, but leaving legal timebombs for the future like half my remains being a household ornament, and the other half of my remains making it hard for Aldi to build a carpark, really strikes more joy in my heart that one of those boring cremation do's I have attended so many times.

And I DEFINITELY insist on doing my own eulogy, as soon as three d is available so I can actually point at people and upset or praise them directly, in their pre allocated seats.

THIS is why I shouldn't be poor.... 

• I think it's a hyper sensitivity to the endorphin rush too because when I kiss my other half I get a tingly feeling at the back of my head, it feels like billions of shook up lemonade bubbles bouncing around under my skin, and I even go a little dizzy. We call it love drunk. XD

• OO! Can you do me when I snuff it?

I want to be stuffed with my hands out holding a tray, so I can continue to be useful, or hidden in a cupboard. 

It'll be practically as if nothing changed...

• Debbie,

For me (although not diagnosed as I masked...) the thing I love about myself is my ability to feel everything deeply.  I get shivers when I listen to certain songs.  When I look into some peoples eyes I get a huge whoosh feeling inside if I think they have beautiful eyes.  It makes me feel shy but it's amazing too.  I also get intense body whooshes when I kiss someone I am attracted to.  It's been a few months since my last relationship so a while since I last experienced it.  My body is like a huge sense where I feel everything. :-)

• Everything is more.

Unfamiliar environments and situations are overwhelming. Seasoned food hurts. Loud noises hurt. Tight clothes hurt. I have to spend a lot more time than other people resting, recovering, being quiet and alone.

The flipside is that it's much easier to feel joy. A small thing like a sunrise or a flower can be so beautiful it turns my mood around. I almost never get bored. I get a huge amount of satisfaction out of doing the same things over and over again.

• I wasn't made to sit in front of TV and eat crisps, in a zombie lair.

I need to flex all muscles now and then or I despair.

It sends shadows of no prospects away

And I can smile greeting new day.

Smiley

• Well done and sorry to hear that (about prospects).

You can flex your brain muscles more now Blush

• That's right, I do it for my myself, 

I won't have to pay unless I find a nice job. and there is 9 years to complete or you lose those points.

And I need to do something or I'll go nuts, living without any future prospects is killing me

• Recently?

I did some OU studies but unfortunately the value expired.

I hadn't realised that the points you get aren't available for 'life' in order to build a degree.

If you've just done that: all the best.

I remember that maths is 'your thing'.