What defines your autism?

There's another question that sprang to mind this morning.

What defines your autism?

I have noticed that most of the posts on the forum appear to be about our vulnerabilities.

So, is our autism defined by our vulnerabilities?

Certainly the sensitivities and communication difficulties can make us more vulnerable to stress and isolation.

Any positives anyone?

I'm still thinking about that one.

There is a lot of food for thought once we have obtained recognition either personally or professionally.

Parents
  • I am different and I know it, there was a girl I met outside some months ago and she instantly gave me the nickname of.. Sheldon, the way I dress and act is the reason she told me she thought that nickname worked for me.

I am meticulous at home or work in my tasks, I like routines and systems, I’m not spontaneous at all, if there’s a last minute change of plan, it makes me very uncomfortable and can at times make me upset bc I didn’t have time to plan / prepare. 

I like to observe nature and events around me, I prefer living in the country, when I go in the city, I feel overwhelmed, there’s so much happening, I could sit in a chair all day watching the crowd and some birds. I’m practical and logical and have used that to get me through life, my diagnosis for Asperger’s was very late, only 2 years ago, I’m 37 now. 

• My diagnosis was also late at age 77. Up to very recently I needed answers as to why my life was so strange. Now I know!. Ran my life on the 6P principle ( Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance)

• I do my best with work and life stuff bc I also have epilepsy thrown in, so it’s been quite challenging in choosing suitable jobs and life choices. I don’t mind working alone, but need small groups to be around me bc of my epilepsy.

• I do my best with work and life stuff bc I also have epilepsy thrown in, so it’s been quite challenging in choosing suitable jobs and life choices. I don’t mind working alone, but need small groups to be around me bc of my epilepsy.

Children
  • I had extra medication added after my last one and I haven’t one since, I’m still not sure about taking steps forward bc I don’t usually have any warning before they happen. As for putting myself in a “safe place”, I can say I need to be around small groups, I don’t like large groups, but the people are there to keep an eye on me in case something happens. I use this for my work, so I can’t really branch out at all bc of certain restrictions, like for example.. long hours in front of a computer screen will probably cause me some problems

• Are your fits under control.  Can you feel it coming on to give you time to put yourself in a safe place?