What defines your autism?

There's another question that sprang to mind this morning.

What defines your autism?

I have noticed that most of the posts on the forum appear to be about our vulnerabilities.

So, is our autism defined by our vulnerabilities?

Certainly the sensitivities and communication difficulties can make us more vulnerable to stress and isolation.

Any positives anyone?

I'm still thinking about that one.

There is a lot of food for thought once we have obtained recognition either personally or professionally.

Parents
  • I am inquisitive. I often wonder about things. It is much easier these days to Google to find an answer, even if it takes a while longer than when we relied only on books. I once managed to find the correct house number for an important letter sent to someone who was living in our road but it had the wrong number. It took an hour or two of searches. 

At work I may not be the fastest but am methodical, with attention to detail and often solve problems that others have missed. One boss described me as tenacious.

Thank you Debbie for this post. It is good to think of my positives rather than negatives.

• I am inquisitive. I often wonder about things. It is much easier these days to Google to find an answer, even if it takes a while longer than when we relied only on books. I once managed to find the correct house number for an important letter sent to someone who was living in our road but it had the wrong number. It took an hour or two of searches. 

At work I may not be the fastest but am methodical, with attention to detail and often solve problems that others have missed. One boss described me as tenacious.

Thank you Debbie for this post. It is good to think of my positives rather than negatives.

Children
  • tenacious

I get that too.

Allistic often refer to that trait as 'no job is to small'.

I call it mockingly 'stubborn like a donkey' Stuck out tongue

There is no 'today I don't feel like it'', or 'today we don't need to do that', there is no exceptions to the standard, and it's my personal standard always